Thread: I'm just enjoying OrangeCD!

Default I'm just enjoying OrangeCD!

Hey, all. I'm new to this, but in the last 3 days, I've catalogued about 500 LP's. I'm loving the ease of use. I've backed up my files, too. I'm actually having fun finally organizing this collection! Any of you have similar experiences?

I'll give you a tip. I don't know if it's been mentioned, but sometimes I won't find the tracklistings for a rare album, but the tracks will be located in the notes section when I get the info from Amazon (Amazon does seem to be the best for finding albums. Many times I've looked for items on Freedb or Discogs to no avail, but those sites are handy on occasion). I'll separate the tracks (go to beginning of each track and enter), and have them descending down the page in order. Then, I'll highlight the tracks, copy, and then paste them on the tracks page. Everything appears in order, and numbered properly. I do like seeing the tracklistings on the right page, but I might be a little anal about these things. But when you learn a few shortcuts, it makes the process more enjoyable.

Regarding the three sites (Freedb, Amazon, and Discogs...It would be nice to have a GEMM tab or an Allmusic tab for info or pics, but I digress), though, have any of you found certain sites better for finding info on certain formats (12-inch, 78's, 45's, cassette singles, promos, etc.) more than others. Any pros and/or cons to each site that might help makes things easier? When I'm done, I'm thinking of maybe adding some of my info to the freedb site, but we'll see...

Right now, I'm just enjoying the discovery, and have learned more about my collection in the process...

Default Did 3 today.....

.......did my CDs (400+), now starting on LPs. Used Audacity, split to Tracks, saved as FLAC. I then used Tag&Rename to fill in Tags. Have not even figured out how I will get this into OCD! I borrowed a USB TT from a friend, not sure how good the needle is. I am not a purist, but expect quality sound, which is why I went w/FLAC. I have a separate listening room in the house, with MartinLogan electrostats. I am wondering how the FLACs will sound on them....have no means to try just yet!!!!
    My wife is music teacher, so am able to convert to MP3s for her as needed.
    How and where are you identifying your LP rips! Are you capturing LP numbers in ICD? I have lots of questions......Tnx, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Reisender View Post
    .......did my CDs (400+), now starting on LPs. Used Audacity, split to Tracks, saved as FLAC. I then used Tag&Rename to fill in Tags. Have not even figured out how I will get this into OCD! I borrowed a USB TT from a friend, not sure how good the needle is. I am not a purist, but expect quality sound, which is why I went w/FLAC. I have a separate listening room in the house, with MartinLogan electrostats. I am wondering how the FLACs will sound on them....have no means to try just yet!!!!
    My wife is music teacher, so am able to convert to MP3s for her as needed.
    How and where are you identifying your LP rips! Are you capturing LP numbers in ICD? I have lots of questions......Tnx, Tom
    Hello there. I haven't yet begun the digitizing of the vinyl yet (another project for another day), although many of my CD's and/or favorite tracks are on my computer, so I have something to keep me going while I catalogue. I'm trying to get everything catalogued basically. I've been getting most of my info from Amazon, but there are many LP's where I've had to enter the album info manually (year, genre, label, etc.). I figure I'll go back after I do so many, and add the catalog numbers, but that's not really as important for me, at this point. I will say that most of my LP's are original releases (I don't know why some of these would even be considered for reissue, others I can only wish for CD versions!), but where there are reissues, I will denote that next to the title, in parentheses. You, of course, can also denote that next to LP under format, or have LP (reissue) listed as a format, for that matter.

Little notes like that along the way will make it easier later to group like items together into a list, and I can amend what I need to. Right now, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I have here. Same goes for the album artwork. Some of these are just so unusual, I'm sure I'll eventually scan the images into OCD, a time-consuming project in itself. I'm going one project at a time, and enjoying the ride.

I do like how you're doing it, though, and FLAC is, to me, the way to go for archiving.
    Last edited by vinylmaster; 03-28-2011 at 12:26 AM.

By the way, old-fashioned as it is, I do keep a relative number of price guides and reference books around, just in case. And Joel Whitburn's books will come in handy, when I do the singles. Of course, much is online and digital, but I'm still a bit "analog" that way. Here's a thought...maybe a separate field for chart positions would be handy for those of us who care about such things.

You guys are a little more of into the details than I am. But I do insist on quality sound... I rip everything to 320 CBR. I have done a tonne of LPs, and Cassettes (I really prefer cassettes because most times I can get the quality as good as cd's, at least to my ear). I have been converting my collection for almost 10 years now, and by far the cd's were the easiest. I think the 2000 + cds we have took me about a month to convert. When I convert them they go into plastic containers and are stored in a room I have specifically for that.

I have a set of standards for my collection that I try to keep. The album art I like to see at 300 x 300. If it is at all possible I like the mp3's at 320 - 192 although some of the rare stuff or demos I have purchased from the artists are only at 128. (Goddo for example). Definitely nothing below that though. Sometimes it is just easier to download the music than to rip it, so I do that too.

If there is one tip I can give anyone that is converting, it's backup, backup, BACKUP! I have all of my music backed up in triplicate just in case but I learned that the hard way.

It is nice to see the different possibilities of this program. I only use it for cataloging mp3's, since it is my goal to have everything on digital, but I do enjoy viewing the different ways others use it as well.