Thread: Sorting by last name

Default Sorting by last name

In browse by artist I'm trying to sort all the artists in my database by last name. However, it seems that if they have any tracks that are on a various artist CD that those will not change. It does create a folder using the last name but some of the CD names tracks stay in the original name folder. So, now I have two folders for one artist which makes it hard to find what I want sometimes. Is there a way around this? Thanks

Correction. Looks like it only happens if they are on more than one various artist compilation. One comp. title will sort and the other not

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1 View Post
    Correction. Looks like it only happens if they are on more than one various artist compilation. One comp. title will sort and the other not
    Select "Artist (no compilations)" from the drop-down box on top of left pane. That will hide these compilation-related folders.

Andrei

Apologies if any of this is stuff you've tried, but:

As long as I am careful to spell the name in the 'Artist' field consistently, they end up in the same folder for me. One thing that can make them not appear in the same folder but look the same is if there is an extra space character in the name somewhere. Orange does not, at least as of 6.4.5, trim spaces or attempt to remove extra spaces embedded inside names. If you pulled your data from the freedb, it can have extra spaces or other garbage in it. Hazards of a user maintained data store.

If you right click on an artist in the tree view on the left, then select properties, you will get a dialog box that has a field where you can enter aliases. For example, you might have an artist called 'The Beatles' and you could enter 'Beatles' into the alias box. (I try not to do this because I prefer to find the one correct name for an act and change each occurrence, but some folks like the act's name to appear as it does on the disc/album, and they can be inconsistent.)

Finally, there is the collaboration feature for songs with several artists. For example, if you wanted Paul Simon's solo songs and his Simon & Garfunkel work to appear under 'Simon, Paul'. To access this feature:

1. Find a track that has more than one artist
    2. Open the track properties dialog and select the General tab (the way you do this varies from theme to theme).
    3. To the right of 'Artist' is a right-pointing arrow. Click it and select 'Collaboration' from the context menu that appears.
    4. List each contributor on a separate line.
    5. After you click okay, the same entry (album/track) will be accessible from each artist's entry in the left column tree control. To use the example above, you could get to the track from 'Simon, Paul' and from 'Garfunkel, Art'.

HTH