Thread: problem with sorting of dates

Default problem with sorting of dates

Hi Andrei,

I'm not sure if it has been addressed already, but there is a somewhat annoying "logical bug" in the sorting routine of dates in OCD:

The algorithm seems to sort lexicographically, which makes it erroneously recognise a date of 08.12.2010 as being earlier than 20.11.2010.

A solution for this, that doesn't require to modify the sorting algorithm, could be to change the internal handling of dates to such of ...

yyyy[[-][mm][[-][dd]]]

... (everything in square brackets is meant to be optional). This would provide a correct sorting of dates, even if "incomplete" ones like 2000-05 were used.

Of course, it would be even better, if the visible dates could also be changed to that format or if that would be optional, but changing this might require a lot more work and testing and I certainly don't want to cause you too much trouble

-pn

I am not aware of this problem. Can you send me a screenshot of incorrect sorting to [email]orangecd@firetongue.com[/email]? Thanks

Andrei

Hi Andrei,

the problem is solved! It looks like there was something wrong with my preset and not with OCD or the sorting mechanism in general.

Since I seemed to be the only one experiencing these strange results I checked the several sorting results by directly choosing single columns. Each one of them resulted in what I was expecting, including date sorting. But as I switched back to my preset (sorting Artist, Release Date and Title) it was wrong again. Then I just deleted the preset and build it anew and now it works fine.

I have no idea what the problem was or what it originated from, but I'm glad it works again. Thank you for your assistance!

-pn