Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Export ALL to a CSV?

Default Export ALL to a CSV?

I've been an OrangeCd user for a long time and like it a lot but am abandoning Windows as an operationg system. One of the apps I will miss is Orange CD. Is there a way to export all of the fields in the database to a csv so I can import into another database? So far the only option I have is to export via HTML with each CD on it 's own page. This is fine and I can add future cds via an HTML editor but would prefer a csv export then regardless of what I do in the future I can use the csv file as a datasource.

Also, is there a way to transfer my OCD license to someone else? Some of my friends would enjoy using it.

I don't know about CSV, but I think you can export everything to XML.. after that if your new program can't import XML there are other programs that can convert the XML into other formats.. MS Excel can read XML and then you can export to CSV.

But I don't think that in any case the data will be nice and clean.. ;O)

fred

Quote Originally Posted by justw View Post
    [...] Is there a way to export all of the fields in the database to a csv [...]
    Go to "Database" Menu and chose "Import and Export ...". What you are looking for is the "Export to plain text" action.

-pn

Quote Originally Posted by Paternoster View Post
    Go to "Database" Menu and chose "Import and Export ...". What you are looking for is the "Export to plain text" action.

-pn
    I don't think I can get track titles or times with that.

"I don't know about CSV, but I think you can export everything to XML.. after that if your new program can't import XML there are other programs that can convert the XML into other formats.. MS Excel can read XML and then you can export to CSV."

I'll look into the XML stuff. I'm not that familiar with XML so didn't look at that option.

OMG ... you are obviously right. Even that export function is crippled ...

My fault! I never checked the csv's for such trivial things like titles and times, but only for some of my self defined fields and stuff. I took it for granted that those basic things would always be included ...

That's a bad joke, isn't it?

-pn

yeah, I expect a database program to be able to dump all of it's records and fields into a generic format. I stll need to explore XML but I'm not hopeful.

XML is the full export in OrangeCD. It contains everything there is in the database except artwork images.

Andrei

Default not really ...

Sorry Andrei, but after doing a quick check on this, I can say that the XML export does not contain "everything except the artwork images".

For example there don't seem to be any customised checkbox and field names within the resulting XML file. There surely is something like boolN="1" for a set checkboxN in the common tag, but I can't find a reference to the custom title which is assigned to it, so nobody will ever know what it stands for. And fields and checkboxes that are not yet used in OCD are not even mentioned either.

Besides that "everything except" is already a knock out criterion itself in my opinion. After all, we're talking about creating _full_ database exports! It would be great, if you could at least modify the csv export to really contain everything (including links/paths to the artwork) in the near future!

-pn

Yup, I pretty much found the same thing. That's okay with me though as I am leaving the fold.
    My second question was about transferring ownership. You can PM me if you like. Or email.

Quote Originally Posted by Paternoster View Post
    For example there don't seem to be any customised checkbox and field names within the resulting XML file. There surely is something like boolN="1" for a set checkboxN in the common tag, but I can't find a reference to the custom title which is assigned to it, so nobody will ever know what it stands for. And fields and checkboxes that are not yet used in OCD are not even mentioned either.
    If the value has default value, it does not show up in XML. This is done to reduce file size. It is just common sense, otherwise output XML would be 10x bigger for most users.

Besides that "everything except" is already a knock out criterion itself in my opinion. After all, we're talking about creating _full_ database exports! It would be great, if you could at least modify the csv export to really contain everything (including links/paths to the artwork) in the near future!
    Artwork image filenames have format XXXXXXXX.jpg where XXXXXXXX is value of ID attribute in Volume element. It is a link to image... just without directory and extension.

Custom field titles are indeed not exported to XML as well as any user settings, but I never thought it could be a problem. There's less than 30 fields total.

Sorry, I still think XML is as full export as it can be (but I'll give you half point for custom field titles )