Thread: How can I add a new list?

Default How can I add a new list?

Hello there!

Thank you for the great program, but I've got a few questions

In the Record properties, there are a lot of various lists, e.g. Category, Genre, Format, etc. They all seem very useful, but I would like to add another list (not just edit the existing ones) which would allow me to do some kind of my own categorization. How can I do this?

As for now, I've only found the option of adding Custom fields, such as Memo, Date, Checkbox, but is there any way to add Custom lists?

Thank you for your assistance!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by the_slider04 View Post
    Hello there!

Thank you for the great program, but I've got a few questions

In the Record properties, there are a lot of various lists, e.g. Category, Genre, Format, etc. They all seem very useful, but I would like to add another list (not just edit the existing ones) which would allow me to do some kind of my own categorization. How can I do this?
    Hi. Best way is just to make a custom page. Name it whatever you want. This will appear as a new tab in Record Properties. Then, on that page, create the 'lists' you want. To do that, the only way I can think of is to use custom fields.
    However, once you have created a custom field, you can include it in any list you call up in the right-hand pane. Just right click on the 'title' bar and choose 'insert'. And - once you've got the hang of template editing with 'daxedit' - you can get a field to appear pretty much where you want it to in OCD.

Hello Malc! Thank you for answering!

I've already created my own Custom pages with Custom fields (did you mean "textbox" Custom fields?) but I have trouble going to the next step

**you can include it in any list you call up in the right-hand pane
    Is it the same thing as using "add" option in Preferences->Database->Edit selected list? But then I don't need to create a new field for it, I can just type a line in "add" window? Or am I wrong?

and....where is the right hand pane that you mentioned? In which window is it?

Did you mean that I can just add a new line to already existing "build-in" lists, such as Category, Genre, Location, etc?

Thanks again for your help!!
    Mike

Yes, I do mean a 'text box' field. Every time you add a particular value in that field, it saves it. You then get a drop-down arrow next time you go to that field and get the chance to select a value you entered before.

As for the 'pane' question, I mean whre you get the 'tree' pane on the left, and another pane on the right. This might be a single album record, all the albums for a folder (artist) listed cross-tab, or all the tracks for a folder (artist) listed cross-tab.
    When you clcik on an artist's folder, and you've selected the 'album view' icon (from the toolbar at the top), you get a cross-tabbed list on the right pane. If you right-click the 'headings' row at the top, you'll get the option to insert a field. Select your custom field from the option list that appears, and it shows on the list.

You can save any particular arrangement of fields in that view by going to the 'preset' box on the toolbar and selecting your choice of action. Depending on whether you have selected 'tracks' view from the toolbar, or 'albums' view, you can save different arrangements. Play around with it and see!
    The lists under database prefs are limited (I think, if I remember rightly) by Andre - don't think we can change them. So I don't mean THOSE lists!

Hope this makes sense - had to do it in a hurry. Work gets in the way!!

Wow, Malc, thank you!!

I think when I first saw that enormous list of parametrs (also with my own cheesy textbox stuff!) I heard the sound of my jaw hitting the floor!

Thanks alot, I really have some stuff to explore here!!
    I'd better do it right now!!
    Good luck with your work!!

Mike

Lists come in a variety of forms in the default version of OCD:

1. Lists with fixed values where the user cannot type in a different value, but which can be edited in preferences -> database. I.e., Category on the general tab of album properties

2. Lists where the user CAN type in a new value, and this value is added to the drop down list. Names of band members on the Musicians tab, for example.

3. Lists with fixed values where the user can enter a new value, but the new value is not added to the drop down list although the list can be edited in preferences -> database. Format is an example of this.

4. Lists where the user can type in a new value, but this new value is not added to the drop down list AND the list cannot be edited in preferences. Roles on the Musicians tab is the most notorious example of this.

It is not clear to me why all lists don't function the same way. In particular, it is not at all clear to me why the Roles list limited when it should behave like either type 2 or type 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    Lists come in a variety of forms in the default version of OCD:

1. Lists with fixed values where the user cannot type in a different value, but which can be edited in preferences -> database. I.e., Category on the general tab of album properties

2. Lists where the user CAN type in a new value, and this value is added to the drop down list. Names of band members on the Musicians tab, for example.

3. Lists with fixed values where the user can enter a new value, but the new value is not added to the drop down list although the list can be edited in preferences -> database. Format is an example of this.

4. Lists where the user can type in a new value, but this new value is not added to the drop down list AND the list cannot be edited in preferences. Roles on the Musicians tab is the most notorious example of this.

It is not clear to me why all lists don't function the same way. In particular, it is not at all clear to me why the Roles list limited when it should behave like either type 2 or type 3.
    I'd like to add my vote that lists work consistently, and I would choose first (2) from the choices above and then (1). Lists of type (2) seem to be self-maintaining in the sense that entries not used anywhere disappear from them, which prohibits the accumulation of useless typos; once you find 'em (using the Search capability) and fix 'em they disappear. Lists of type (4) are quite frustrating.