Thread: Sort name

Default Sort name

Hi everybody!

I'm not sure if the function sort name works correctly within Racks and Tags:

E. g. I've the following two CDs in my collection:
    - Jimi Hendrix: Live At The Fillmore East
    - Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced

Within Orange CD in the folders pane if sorted "by artist" they are listed under "Jimi Hendrix" and "Jimi Hendrix Experience". Within Racks and Tags in the artist view they are listed as well under "Jimi Hendrix" and "Jimi Hendrix Experience". Fine so far.

Now I change the sort name of "Jimi Hendrix Experience" into "Jimi Hendrix" within the Library\Manage Artists dialog because I want both CDs to be listed under one Artist. Within Orange CD in the folders pane if sorted "by artist" both CDs are now listed under "Jimi Hendrix". That's what I expected.

But: Within Racks and Tags in the artist view both CDs are listed under "Jimi Hendrix Experience" and not under "Jimi Hendrix" as expected. In the "Artist manager" dialog I can only find one entry anymore: "Jimi Hendrix" (sort), "Jimi Hendrix experience" (primary). The entry for "Jimi Hendrix" (sort), "Jimi Hendrix" (primary) is gone.

Is that a bug within Racks and Tags? A bug within Orange CD? Or do I do a mistake on my side?

Thanks in advance for any hint,
    Mathias

Since there was no answer until now, I thought I give another example directly from the RacksAndTags site:

Here is a list of CDs, that are listed under artist 'Bruce Springsteen':
    [url]http://www.racksandtags.com/vendenbos/artists/Bruce-Springsteen/[/url]

This list includes CDs with the artists 'Bruce Springsteen' and also 'Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band'.

In the view 'Artists' only 'Bruce Springsteen' is listed:
    [url]http://www.racksandtags.com/vendenbos/artists/[/url]

My question is: How can this be done. I simply want to have the same but don't know how.

Thanks,
    Mathias

Lightbulb

Hello Mathias,

I recently saw this post when I incorrectly entered the url of my Racks and Tags site [url]www.racksandtags.com/vendenbos[/url].
    I have entered the various bands of Bruce Springsteen as other spelling for the artist Bruce Springsteen, see the attached screenshot.
    This can be easily done by the following steps:

1. In OrangeCD choose Browse by Artist above the tree view
    2. Select the band in the tree view you do not want to be listed in Racks and Tags (e.g. 'Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band')
    3. Right click the band name en choose Properties (Alt-Enter)
    4. Copy the primary name
    5. Select the artist/band that you want listed in Racks and Tags (e.g. 'Springsteen, Bruce')
    6. Right click that name and again choose Properties
    7. Past the copied band name in the Other spellings or names multi-line textbox
    8. Repeat these steps for all alternate band names, placing each name on a new row in the textbox

All albums from the different bands are now listing under the same artist in OrangeCD. Upload your collection and this will also be the case in Racks and Tags.
    The artist name for each individual album will still be listed as the original band name. This only affects the grouping.

Hello VendenBos!

It worked! Thanks a lot! You really made my day.

I found your answer this morning and couldn't wait to come home to try it out. It was the first thing I did at home and it worked! I'll now go through my collection and do it for all artists that may apply...

It took a while, almost one year since my question. But anyway, better late than never... Now I've set my forum options to send me a mail if I get answer on one of my threads.

Again: Thanks a lot VendenBos!

Mathias

Smile

You're welcome, Mathias!
    It's been good to read that my advice was useful, even after some time.

What is sort name? What can it do?