Thread: Composer Collaboration (Tracks)

Default Composer Collaboration (Tracks)

Andrei,

Please can you consider giving the Composer field the same treatment as Artist. I assume that Composer collaboration will be appreciated by the majority of users.

Thanks,

Joe

Default Worth having

This feature would certainly be useful, but in many cases you might have to decide what to count as a collaboration. Liszt did many piano transcriptions of other composers' works, eg Schubert songs. I have checked a few entries and note that I not have been consistent here. Sometimes I have made up a combined composer entry, such as "Liszt-Schubert". In most cases I have just filed them as by Liszt. I don't think many people would regard Beethoven's famous "Diabelli Variations" as a collaboration with Diabelli. What about cases like Ravel's famous orchestration of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition"? Many other composers have also done version of that work.

You might decide to limit it to cases of composers actually working together on a composition. These are pretty rare. A fairly well-known example is the FAE Sonata, a four movement work with a different composer for each movement.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-A-E_Sonata[/url]

I have a very attractive CD, labelled "Collective Works by Russian Composers". One work is "Variations on a Russian Theme" with variations contributed by ten composers! You can read about it here:

[url]http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/replay-1592495.html[/url]

The Track Composer Field is not limited to classic composers. It is available for all lyrics/music composers as well.

Examples:

John Lennon/Paul McCartney
    John Lennon/Yoko Ono
    Gerry Goffin/Carole King
    Mick Jagger/Keith Richards
    Jerry Garcia/Robert Hunter
    Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller
    Elton John/Bernie Taupin

and thousands of others.

The collaboration feature will for example list all songs written by John Lennon with Paul McCartney, Yoko Ono and other collaborators.

Default Composer Collaboration

Any news !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs View Post
    Andrei,

Please can you consider giving the Composer field the same treatment as Artist. I assume that Composer collaboration will be appreciated by the majority of users.

Thanks,

Joe

A composer/writer/co-writer box would make a lot of sense, even for 40's-50's collaborations like:

Rodgers/Hammerstein
    Rodgers/Hart
    George Gershwin/Ira Gershwin
    Lerner/Loewe
    Cahn/Van Heusen
    Green/Comden

or even TV/movie theme/soundtrack composers like:

Allyn Ferguson/Jack Elliott
    Alan Bergman/Marilyn Bergman
    Tim Rice/Elton John

and beisdes Carole King & Gerry Goffin, you forgot the famous

Ellie Greenwich/Barry Mann
    Burt Bacharach/Hal David
    Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil
    Burt Bacharach/Carole Bayer Sager
    Tom Kelly/Billy Steinberg
    Dennis Lambert/Brian Potter
    Tom Snow/Dean Pitchford
    Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis
    L.A. Reid/Babyface

Just those alone would constitute a great majority in many people's collections.

I like the idea of a writing credit box. On every website, most times a writing credit is given, and sometimes, it would be nice to have the option of searching everything you have by that particular composer, classical, pop, rock, jazz, whatever. Especially on singles and 45's. It would be nice to have a drop down box for the above names, because I probably have hundreds of singles for each collaborator noted above. Think of all the cover versions, too! Some were so prolific, that it would be nice to not have to type in the composer info each time. I could just click on Goffin/King, for instance, and do a hundred singles for just Goffin/King. I can see where it would work great for singles. Some albums have so many composers on them, though, but maybe a box in the "Track Properties" for each song. If all the songs were written by the same person/people, it would be nice to be able to have an option where all songs for that particular album would simultaneously have the same composer credits added. Otherwise, copy and paste.

You are on the right track, Joebugs. I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's a thought Andrei might want to consider in some form or another.

I have the same request. I have a lot of sixties pop and it would be nice to have the possibility to add multiple songwriters to a single track.
    I add my albums after digitize them to flac with dbpoweramp. The artist and composer id3 tags can contain multiple names separated by a ';'. The artists are all picked up by the scanner in OrangeCD, but the composers are limited to the first name. Maybe it could be a quick solotion to allow the scanner to pick up all names in the composer field.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs View Post
    Andrei,

Thanks,

Joe
    Andrei, Please can I have your feedback on this. Can this be done?

Thanks

Default Composer collaboration - again

I wanted to bring this again to the top.

Now that OCD allows for artist collaboration entries at both the album and track level, I wonder how hard it would be to have collaboration extended to composers (at both levels). OCD treats composers like artists in many cases anyway (both, for example, are edited in Manage Artists). That would save me 24 different entries for Johnny Mercer in the jazz database and - more importantly - bring all of the Mercer composed songs together, especially as he is not always listed as the first composer.