Thread: What's your process?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What's your process?

I was thinking a lot about my issue in the last weeks and searched about it in the forum but couldn't find much. So I thought I ask if maybe you have ideas about it:

I have a lot of CD's in my shelf (surprise!). I rip them on my hard disk to have them as FLAC (for listening at home) and also as AAC (for my iPod). Some Albums I own as a fourth format also as Vinyl from the old days.

What is the best way to store these Albums in Orange CD? It's pretty easy to have each album four times in the database but not very elegant, is it?

Do you have a fancy way to handle this problem?

Thanks,
    Mathias

Thumbs up One record - several different formats.

Hi Matthias,

I don't know how well you know OCD, but I would suggest that you use custom tick boxes to denote formats. Create one for each format (AAC, FLAC, CD and Vinyl). Then - for each record, tick whichever formats apply. Voila - one record in OCD showing 4 different formats.
    If you play around a little with the default template (with ocd's own editor, daxedit), you can show all four on your main album page if you want. Or you can just choose to view them by right-clicking a record and looking at its properties. Where you find the information depends on which custom page/tab you have chosen to put them!
    Once you have created the custom fields for these formats, you can run searches to find 'all albums on AAC' (for example),and a list will come up in the right-hand pane of OCD. It's very flexible.
    If you have any problems doing this, just shout! Hope this helps...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Actually I started something like this some time ago. But I had only additional tic boxes for FLAC and AAC. I still used the 'Format' field for the main format (CD, CD-R, LP, SACD, 3"CD, CC, ...). There I had only sometimes double entries for CD+LP which is not so nice.

I wonder if anybody else had thought about it. It should be a 'problem' for a lot of people, isn't it?

Regards,
    Mathias