Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone else w/ this problem?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default anyone else w/ this problem?

I've used this program for 4 - 5 years now and love it! However, after upgrading to version 6.4.2 it runs EXTREMELY SLOW. Anyone else encountered this? Orange cd catalog seems to be the only program on my pc that's lagging....

I once had a similar problem and found out that it was my antivirus that scanned the dab file.
    Check which processes are using your cpu when you use orangecd to verify the above.
    If this is the case try excluding the dab file from your antivirus

Quote Originally Posted by bcrm1 View Post
    I've used this program for 4 - 5 years now and love it! However, after upgrading to version 6.4.2 it runs EXTREMELY SLOW. Anyone else encountered this? Orange cd catalog seems to be the only program on my pc that's lagging....
    This sounds like Norton Antivirus. Its scanning process gets extremely slow when it works with OrangeCD - and what's worse - it prevents OrangeCD from accessing it while it's working.

It is a bug in Norton which is nearly impossible to work around. You have to exclude *.DAB files from virus scanning.

Andrei

I got Orange in two computers: Laptop Windows XP Pro, Desktop Windows 7.
    I've the same problem....and I have Microsoft essential....

Fixed.....as Andrei sad! Thanks

not sure i'm doing the exclusions right...still having probs. can anyone walk me through it?

not sure i'm doing the exclusions right...still having probs. can anyone walk me through it?
    What antivirus program/version are you using?

fred

Default Norton Antivirus scan exclusions

Open Norton Antivirus, then COMPUTRER > Settings
    Go to Exclusions > Scan exclusions > configure
    Under REAL TIME PROTECTION EXCLUSIONS add your database (all .DAB files)
    save and exit

Hope this was clear, if not, feel free to ask me any questions.

Default OrangeCD and Symantec Endpoint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    This sounds like Norton Antivirus. Its scanning process gets extremely slow when it works with OrangeCD - and what's worse - it prevents OrangeCD from accessing it while it's working.

It is a bug in Norton which is nearly impossible to work around. You have to exclude *.DAB files from virus scanning.

Andrei
    The same seems to apply to Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) - the corporate equivalent to Norton AntiVirus/Norton 360.

I must admit that I strongly dislike having to make an exception for .dab files. If this problem actually is due to a bug in Norton Antivirus/SEP, has it been reported to Symantec? And have you received any response, Andrei?

Best regards
    -paul-

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (actually left Norton for it) and had to exclude the .dab file to get good OrangeCD performance. This was also necessary for my backups to complete in a reasonable time.
    Last edited by tearaway; 05-10-2012 at 01:50 AM.