Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone else w/ this problem?

Default OrangeCD and Symantec Endpoint Protection

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    This sounds like Norton Antivirus. Its scanning process gets extremely slow when it works with OrangeCD - and what's worse - it prevents OrangeCD from accessing it while it's working.

It is a bug in Norton which is nearly impossible to work around. You have to exclude *.DAB files from virus scanning.

Andrei
    The same seems to apply to Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) - the corporate equivalent to Norton AntiVirus/Norton 360.

I must admit that I strongly dislike having to make an exception for .dab files. If this problem actually is due to a bug in Norton Antivirus/SEP, has it been reported to Symantec? And have you received any response, Andrei?

Best regards
    -paul-

I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (actually left Norton for it) and had to exclude the .dab file to get good OrangeCD performance. This was also necessary for my backups to complete in a reasonable time.
    Last edited by tearaway; 05-10-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tearaway View Post
    I am using Microsoft Security Essentials (actually left Norton for it) and had to exclude the .dab file to get good OrangeCD performance. This was also necessary for my backups to complete in a reasonable time.
    FWIW, I've been using MS SE for 2-3 years, and have never had a problem with OrangeCD slowness and haven't had to exclude the .dab file. I'm running Windows 7 though, so perhaps that is the difference.

I *did* have to do the exclusion when I was using Win XP and Norton though.