Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feature request: Scrobbling

Default Feature request: Scrobbling

It would be nice if the OCD Player could [url=http://last.fm/api/submissions]scrobble[/url] played CDs. Additional last.fm interaction would be even more interesting, but I'd be happy with only scrobbling added.

Thumbs up

i've been wanting this for a long time too (and i think its come up before). i like using my OCD data for tagging, CD playback and the like, but i've had to use an elaborate workaround using foobar2000 and a (defunct) FreeDB proxy. And now that method's beginning to fall apart (again). Using OrangeCD Player for scrobbling would mean i could ditch foobar2000, and i could maintain play data at both last.fm and Racks & Tags simultaneously.

The OCD Player is very unlikely to be updated by Firetongue. I've had an e-mail exchange with Andrei, and I hope he doesn't mind if I quote part of his mail:

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c
    Unfortunately the situation is somewhat complicated with player. Its playback functionality is very outdated and needs to be completely rewritten. At the same time we don't want to invest resources into it because more and more people are moving away from CDs towards music stored on hard drive.

The current plan is to move player into "legacy downloads" section of the website. I will still release updates together with OrangeCD Catalog, but unfortunately, I won't be able to fix playback bugs.

(One reason is that underlying old APIs are buggy, and this can't be fixed. The software must be re-written using new APIs.)
    But that doesn't mean that there's nothing to be done. I suggested to Andrei that I was interested in helping out re-writing the CD-player code to work properly, and adding scrobbling. He was all for that!

Unfortunately, this e-mail exchange was back in September, and I have not had the time since to do anything about it. But it's on my to-do list! Or if anyone else has the time and programming experience to make this happen sooner, please do contact Andrei. A better CD player would be great, and the only obstacle to it happening is that someone has to have the time and skill to make it happen.

If anyone tackles this.. my request would be to not make it just a CD player.. Allow the play links in OCD to play thru it as well be they mp3, ape, flac, whatever...

@Andrei.... just a re-request... to turn any advanced search result into a playlist file... or at least the option of selecting all and F7 to play would be great.

fred
    Last edited by frederf; 12-22-2010 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frederf View Post
    @Andrei.... just a re-request... to turn any advanced search result into a playlist file... or at least the option of selecting all and F7 to play would be great.
    Yes, it is still the plan.

Andrei

Default CD Player

Quote Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
    The OCD Player is very unlikely to be updated by Firetongue. I've had an e-mail exchange with Andrei, and I hope he doesn't mind if I quote part of his mail:

But that doesn't mean that there's nothing to be done. I suggested to Andrei that I was interested in helping out re-writing the CD-player code to work properly, and adding scrobbling. He was all for that!

Unfortunately, this e-mail exchange was back in September, and I have not had the time since to do anything about it. But it's on my to-do list! Or if anyone else has the time and programming experience to make this happen sooner, please do contact Andrei. A better CD player would be great, and the only obstacle to it happening is that someone has to have the time and skill to make it happen.
    It would be great if someone will update CD Player. I am sure that this will be appreciated by the majority of users as most of them like me buy CDs regularly. The CD Player was one of the main reasons that I choose OrangeCD to catalogue my collection. Another reason was the Last Played, Total Time Played features. Will these features be available if CD player is discontinued?

I would rather see orangecd concentrate on the collection aspect of the program... there is many free audio players out there already to which scrobbling is available and I wouldn't want to see to much resources used on that.

"I am sure that this will be appreciated by the majority of users as most of them like me buy CDs regularly."

I agree with this. I can see the advantages of having recordings on the hard drive and I do keep some there, but I have 2809 CDs and even though I am now retired and would have the time I don't fancy the mammoth task of loading the whole lot onto the computer.

I have to admit that I hadn't heard of scrobbling before.. had to Google it ;O)

As for me... not interested.

@Andrei... great.... can't wait.

Fred

Default Feature request: Scrobbling

Looking through this thread I see that the CD player functionality may be relegated to legacy status. Seems strange to me for a program that is dubbed "Orange CD".

Just sayin'

Ron