Thread: Orange can't ID some CDs that other Freedb tools can

Default Orange can't ID some CDs that other Freedb tools can

Sometimes, OrangeCD Database (6.4.1 b14628) will not find a CD in Freedb. However, other software, running on the same computer, pointing to the same freedb server (freedb.freedb.org) will find that CD. Specifically, Easy CD-DA extractor, which I use to rip CDs, finds things that OrangeCD DB will not. It doesn't seem to be a firewall issue, since OrangeCD will readily find most CDs. I listen mostly to classical. Today, its the new BBC Music Magazine cover CD for the July 2010 issue, that OrangeCD can't find, but CD-DA does. Does OrangeCD reference an older, or cached snapshot of Freedb? Ideas??
    Last edited by gartho; 06-18-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Hi gartho,

go to menu View -> Preferences, Internet tab and select the following in "CD info download URL" box:

[url]http://freedb.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi[/url]

This will make sure OrangeCD is using official server which has the latest updates.

Andrei

Thanks for replying. That field was already set to [url]http://freedb.freedb.org/~cddb/cddb.cgi[/url] Its still the case that other tools can identify certain CDs that Orange cannot. (Immediately after a failed CD, I tried another CD which I've never entered into Orange, and it found it just fine. So the internet settings seem OK).

In the "misc" panel for the unidentified CD, I see a "freedb disk ID" = 490c0806 If I enter that number at [url]http://www.freedb.org/freedb_discid_check.php[/url] it correctly identifies the disk. Perhaps there's something in the packet coming back from freedb for some CDs that Orange isn't handling?

I'd be happy to try other things to fix my config, or diagnose the problem if there is one. I'd even snail-mail you a CD that exhibits the problem. But if this issue is not something you can work on now, I understand.

Interesting.

I'd like to investigate this issue. Can you provide complete session log for this CD? You can hold Shift key while downloading CD info. That way, a message will be displayed in the end and it will contain session log.

Andrei

Very interesting!

I have been loading new CDs by clicking on the "Scan CD Rom Drive" icon. This usually gets full info from freedb, but for some CDs, like this one, I just get a
    "New Artist::New Title" entry.

But if I then click on "Download CD Info", it updates that record and everything looks fine. I didn't expect that would be needed.

So I have a workaround. But "Scan CD Rom Drive" should always download info, right?

(Session log for "Download CD Info" is attached.)

Well,after scanning a few hundreds cd`s with OCD there is
    a small percentage that is not correct read out. Sometimes
    the track listing is correct but the cover pic and notes (if any)
    are wrong (i mean from a different artist or group) and the CD
    is a "New CD" or "My CD". The grabber CDex for example is
    somewhat more reliable in that respect.
    Realy problematic are only compilations. Occasionaly a scanned
    compilation makes a real mess and in the Album-List by listing every
    Track as a new CD with one track.