Thread: making changes

Default making changes

The 5 items in "Table with covers" view are: Title, Artist, year,Category and rating.
    Can i get rid of Category and rating and substitute: Composer?
    I am cataloguing a large collection of Classical CDs and the Composer is one of the most important.
    incidentally there are a large proportion of covers which are not recognised and i have to go to Amazon and download them manually. Brian:

Quote Originally Posted by Basilmusic View Post
    The 5 items in "Table with covers" view are: Title, Artist, year,Category and rating.
    Can i get rid of Category and rating and substitute: Composer?
    I am cataloguing a large collection of Classical CDs and the Composer is one of the most important.
    incidentally there are a large proportion of covers which are not recognised and i have to go to Amazon and download them manually. Brian:
    Yes Brian, you can! When you're in the 'Table with covers' view, right click anywhere on the column headers row. Then choose 'columns...'. From there you can choose what columns you want to show, and in what order.
    When you've got the layout you want, click on the 'manage presets' drop-down box on the button bar. Select 'new preset from current view' and give it a name. So whenever you want to look at your collection in a different layout, you can always bring back your preferred 'Table with covers' layout. Just by clicking on 'Table with covers' and, if necessary, selecting your layout preset from the drop-down list.
    Hope this helps.

Smile Thanks a million

Thank you for your help. It worked first time. With 5,000 items to catalogue i want to try to get a good set-up right at the beginning.
    The site is incredibly detailed -almost TOO many combinations and slots, but i do think it needs better help via a good manual to download. I note there have been some who have not persevered and left Orange. A lot of it is "trial and error", though i did by chance find some notes on the site.
    Do you happen to know whether one can do an alphabetical sort in "tracks and cover" view...and others, come to think of it? When i return and open DB and add, the new items don't always go at the bottom of list, they appear all over the place, which is a nuisance. Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Basilmusic View Post
    Do you happen to know whether one can do an alphabetical sort in "tracks and cover" view...and others, come to think of it? When i return and open DB and add, the new items don't always go at the bottom of list, they appear all over the place, which is a nuisance. Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. Brian
    You can sort on any column just by left clicking on the column header. One click and it sorts ascending, two and it sorts descending. Blowers described how to add and delete columns. To sort in date added order, you can use the column Date Added. New items will appear sorted using whatever column you have selected (so it's not really all over the place). If you use a Preset as Blowers suggested, it will preserve whatever sort was in effect when you created the Preset.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWERS View Post
    Yes Brian, you can! When you're in the 'Table with covers' view, right click anywhere on the column headers row. Then choose 'columns...'. From there you can choose what columns you want to show, and in what order.
    When you've got the layout you want, click on the 'manage presets' drop-down box on the button bar. Select 'new preset from current view' and give it a name. So whenever you want to look at your collection in a different layout, you can always bring back your preferred 'Table with covers' layout. Just by clicking on 'Table with covers' and, if necessary, selecting your layout preset from the drop-down list.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you very much, I used your explanation too. It is easy.