Thread: Just getting started, too

Default Just getting started, too

Hello, all.

I'm finding I really like this program, at least insofar as I have been able to puzzle it out.

One thing that has me stumped, though, is how to add a soundtrack or compilation album without my listing refracting into all the individual artists involved; I don't need that depth of detail.

For example, I have my view set for Artist (overview) + Artist, so I have

A Artist A - album
    B Artist B - album

and so forth. But when I add a soundtrack album, it gets listed under all the individual artists, and I haven't been able to figure out how to reduce the multiple entries to one alphabetized title entry.

Surely this need or interest was anticipated and there is a way to do this, i.e.,

S Soundtrack Album - album

Thanks,

Paul

Try browsing by: Artist (no compilations)

Yes...thanks!

But now, after going to Library | Manage Artists and adding [name of soundtrack] as an Artist, the program will not allow me to rename the soundtrack from "Various Artists" to the unique [name of soundtrack] name of its own.

The new artist name I added is in Library | Manage Artists, but not in the drop down box for artists under the album's Properties. Frustrating at every turn.

I confess to being a little confused as to what you want to do, but here's a guess at your problem. I assume in your case that the Artist box on the General Tab of album properties is "grayed" out and has Various Artists as its entry. You want to change this. There is a button with a right pointing arrowhead at the right of the Artists box. Click it. If Various Artists is checked, uncheck it. You should now be able to enter whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    Yes...thanks!

But now, after going to Library | Manage Artists and adding [name of soundtrack] as an Artist, the program will not allow me to rename the soundtrack from "Various Artists" to the unique [name of soundtrack] name of its own.

The new artist name I added is in Library | Manage Artists, but not in the drop down box for artists under the album's Properties. Frustrating at every turn.

Thanks for replying.

Here's what I want to do.

The album "Sounds of Wood & Steel" from the Windham Hill label has a number of songs by a number of artists. I want to enter the album "Sounds of Wood & Steel" as one entry, preferably under the "group" "Windham Hill" for my ease opf reference an location.

When I enter the CD into OCD, not only does it get listed under V (ie, with Artist (overview) Various Artists, but also under Various Artists under every other alphabetical entry relevant to the artists' names on that album.

In Library | Manage Artists I then add the artist "Windham Hill". I then go to "Record Properties", uncheck Various Artists under the right arrow as you suggest, and access the dropdown box. No Windham Hill, though it's still under Library | Manage Artists.

So I then enter Windham Hill into the blank box for Artists under Record Properties and, presto, it's now Windham Hill instead of Various Artists...under V, and W, and it's now also Windham Hill instead of Various Artists under every alphabetical listing relevant to the artists' names on the album.

Windham Hill has a large stable of artists. Replicating this procedure would eventually place "Windham Hill" under every letter of the alphabet instead of just under W.

So thanks immensely for solving the first half of my problem, but how do I now restrict the displayed-as artist "Windham Hill" to just the letter W?

I understand what you are saying... I think.

This is something I have struggled with myself. You can actually change the tags in the music files to what ever name using a program like tag & rename or such (lots of free ones out there)

For example Change the Artist & Album Artist name to Windham Hill.

I don't think there is any other way to do this.