Thread: Wish list

Default Wish list

I feel somewhat hesitant to ask Andrei for still more, because he has done several things I asked for in recent releases (fixing the folder display in the most recent was a big help). But there are a couple of remaining ones I have on my list. One seems to be easy, the othert more difficult.

1. The easy one

When I enter "alto saxophone" for a role, OCD fills in "alto" after I type a-l. It then fills in "saxophone" after I go to the end and press the space. I like that.

When I want to enter "bass" in the role, OCD fills in "bass clarinet" after I type b-a-s. Since "bass" is surely much more common than "bass clarinet", this seems backwards to me. Why doesn't "bass" work just like "alto". That is, after I type b-a-s it should fill in only "bass" and if I want "bass clarinet" I would do just as I do for "alto saxophone" - go to the end and press the spacebar.

"drums" also is backward. It fills in "drum programming" or "drums and percussion" after d-r-u and d-r-u-m-s, respectively. Just "drums" until and only if I press the space bar, please.

2. The harder one

I would like to be able to indicate on which tracks a performer plays which instrument. I'll use Chet Baker this time around. On the album "Chet Baker Quartet featuring Russ Freeman" Baker sings on one tracks and plays the trumpet on all the tracks. The only way I can currently distinguish which tracks he sings on is to have two entries for Chet Baker, i.e.:

Chet Baker (Trumpet) - 1-22,24,25
    Russ Freeman (Piano)
    Bob Whitlock (Bass) - 2-4
    Carson Smith (Bass) - 5-22
    Joe Mondragon (Bass) - 23-25
    Bobby White (Drums) - 1-4
    Larry Bunker (Drums) - 5-22
    Shelly Manne (Drums) - 23-25
    Red Mitchell (Bass) - 1
    Chet Baker (Trumpet, Vocals) - 23

and the two entries don't even appear together. I'm looking for something like:

Chet Baker (Trumpet, Vocals - 23)
    Russ Freeman (Piano)
    Bob Whitlock (Bass) - 2-4
    Carson Smith (Bass) - 5-22
    Joe Mondragon (Bass) - 23-25
    Bobby White (Drums) - 1-4
    Larry Bunker (Drums) - 5-22
    Shelly Manne (Drums) - 23-25
    Red Mitchell (Bass) - 1

Perhaps all roles tracks should be in the parentheses,

Chet Baker (Trumpet, Vocals - 23)
    Russ Freeman (Piano)
    Bob Whitlock (Bass - 2-4)
    Carson Smith (Bass - 5-22)
    Joe Mondragon (Bass - 23-25)
    Bobby White (Drums - 1-4)
    Larry Bunker (Drums - 5-22)
    Shelly Manne (Drums - 23-25)
    Red Mitchell (Bass - 1)

But that can be handled within the existing template.

Thanks for thoughtful suggestions.

#1 is trivial (look for it in next update.)

#2 is tricky and needs some more investigation. I'll look into different examples of how detailed credits usually presented in print. It should be simpler than adding duplicate entries for the same musician.

I would still really like to see "Collaboration" available as field in Artist field for track listings. This would be especially useful on Various artists discs.