Thread: Feature Request: Custom Notes and commentaries in Preview Pane

Default Feature Request: Custom Notes and commentaries in Preview Pane

Custom Notes and fields in Preview Pane, i need this feature, thanks.

Default Another vote for the notes field in table/preview mode

I too would like to be able to preview the notes field when viewing multiple albums.

Example: I'd set up the columns to display Artist, Title, Catalog #, and Year followed by the Notes field to indicate if posters or other inserts are included with the LP.

I hope to use such a table for insurance purposes. It would be most useful!

<EDIT> I found that I could manually copy and paste info from the Notes column to a custom Memo 1 field which can be displayed in the table view. Unfortunately as I don't know how to search for Notes data I'll have to go through my catalog one entry at a time.
    Last edited by innerspaceboy; 08-28-2011 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Update

You can have OCD do the copying for you. Use Tools > Advanced. Choose Personal Notes as the Source. I would suggest you use the Copy Mode Append to Destination. That will leave the data in the Personal Notes and will not delete any information already in your custom field. Then choose your Destination. You might want to select (by highlighting) a subset of cds to be sure it is working okay before trying it on the whole database. As Personal Notes a memo field it can only be copied to another memo field, but that includes Custom Memos.

Quote Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post

<EDIT> I found that I could manually copy and paste info from the Notes column to a custom Memo 1 field which can be displayed in the table view. Unfortunately as I don't know how to search for Notes data I'll have to go through my catalog one entry at a time.

Default Many thanks

OrangeCD and the members of its forum never cease to amaze me. Every time I look for a feature or function that I think is missing from the application, I find it here.

Thank you all!

I guess I should have read more closely as I just responded to the copying issue. But now that I re-read this, what is it you can't display in table view? OCD lets me display Personal Notes in Table View and the track Personal Notes in Track View. I have no trouble setting up a table display of Artist, Title, Catalog, Personal Notes.

Ah, I see - in the single album view the heading reads "Notes," so I was looking for a column called "notes." I missed the "Personal Notes" option which I see now that you've pointed it out.

My apologies.

This works out well though - because I can use your copy/paste suggestion to summarize paragraph-long biographies that appear in some of the Personal Note fields to something more concise in the Memo 1 column which will work better for the tables I print out.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
    Ah, I see - in the single album view the heading reads "Notes," so I was looking for a column called "notes." I missed the "Personal Notes" option which I see now that you've pointed it out.
    As you work more with OCD you will find that the section titles on the single album display do not necessarily correspond to field names in the database, but are specified in the template (in this case on the album page section of the template). That can lead to some misunderstandings - as you discovered - but adds to the flexibility of OCD as you can change the name of any section if you are willing to edit the template; there is a template editor under More in the Orange CD programs list. Usually the field name corresponds pretty closely to the labels you find under the various tabs that appear when you right-click and select properties. But one I noticed that isn't as I worked on your issue is on the Notes tab in album properties. There it is called Source/Credits; but in selecting columns or using an advanced query it is called Review Source. (I believe the field labels for advanced search are identical to those for columns.)