Thread: Sort Order question

Default Sort Order question

I've used OrangeCD Catalog for many years and have been trying to figure this out since day one. When I select "Entire Catalog" I want a default sort by "Artist Sort Name" / "Year". If I switch to "Table View" and set it up there seems to be no way to save that sort as default. Also, once set up , if I switch to "Covers View" my sorted order doesn't stick! Is it me or is something strange about this? I can't be the only one that wants to use Entire Catalog in this fashon. If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by justw View Post
    I've used OrangeCD Catalog for many years and have been trying to figure this out since day one. When I select "Entire Catalog" I want a default sort by "Artist Sort Name" / "Year". If I switch to "Table View" and set it up there seems to be no way to save that sort as default. Also, once set up , if I switch to "Covers View" my sorted order doesn't stick! Is it me or is something strange about this? I can't be the only one that wants to use Entire Catalog in this fashon. If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it.
    I've just tried to replicate your problem without success! I set up a preset like you wanted, saved it as 'Test', then switched to album cover view... and it kept the order perfectly. I know this sounds like a daft question, but did you actually save your preferred sort as a preset?

I have switched OCD off, then re-launched, and the 'Test' view returned correctly. Maybe I'm missing something in your question?

There might be some confusion here - at least I am confused. Malc, I read your solution as applying to the "left" panel (Folders Pane) because that is the only place I can find to save a Preset (and the only place the saved presets appear to apply). Such presets don't carry over to the right panel. And it is the right panel (Album Page, Track Page) that I understood the original poster to be asking about because he refers to Cover view, which is only available on the right panel. There are various kinds of sorts one can create here (right click, Sort), but I see no way to save them.

(I believe the panels can moved from side to side; I am referring to the default layout position.)

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWERS View Post
    I've just tried to replicate your problem without success! I set up a preset like you wanted, saved it as 'Test', then switched to album cover view... and it kept the order perfectly. I know this sounds like a daft question, but did you actually save your preferred sort as a preset?

I have switched OCD off, then re-launched, and the 'Test' view returned correctly. Maybe I'm missing something in your question?

Blowers, yes I can save presets etc. But as Jazz added, I am referring to the right panel. I guess the basic root of my frustration is the program wants to sort albums alphabetically and I expect to sort by year.

No everyone! I DID mean the RIGHT panel!! Use the 'select preset' box on your toolbar. Once you have established the sort order you want in the right panel, click the drop-down arrow in the 'select preset' box, and choose 'new preset from current view'. Save it as something memorable, and it will appear every time you load stuff into the right side. Remember though, if you save a preset in 'album' view, it is different from the one you save in 'tracks view'. Both will come up automatically depending upon which view you choose.

Hope this makes sense!!

I got it! But, you can only sort by one column that way. After poking around some more I found the Custom Sort option under "View". This applies to the right panel and cover view. Thanks for all the tips that prodded me to find this.