Thread: Auto fill-in

Default Auto fill-in

The auto fill-in for role for musicians and other credits is a welcome development. Unfortunately, it still has a few quirks it would be nice to see dealt with. They all concern what might be consider premature completion.

How it works right:
    If I start to type "tenor saxophone", the auto fill-in completes tenor but doesn't add saxophone until I add a space after tenor. This is useful, as sometimes I want only tenor.

How it works wrong:
    If I want to enter just "bass" and start typing bas it then fills in bass clarinet and I have to delete clarinet. The same works with "drums". It fills in drums and percussion everytime, even when I just want drums.
    Why don't bass and drums work like tenor (and soprano and alto)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    The auto fill-in for role for musicians and other credits is a welcome development. Unfortunately, it still has a few quirks it would be nice to see dealt with. They all concern what might be consider premature completion.

How it works right:
    If I start to type "tenor saxophone", the auto fill-in completes tenor but doesn't add saxophone until I add a space after tenor. This is useful, as sometimes I want only tenor.

How it works wrong:
    If I want to enter just "bass" and start typing bas it then fills in bass clarinet and I have to delete clarinet. The same works with "drums". It fills in drums and percussion everytime, even when I just want drums.
    Why don't bass and drums work like tenor (and soprano and alto)?
    I agree with your post and quite often I end up with "Bass Clarinet" when "Bass" was intended. A minor quirk I suppose.

What would be a nice addition, if possible, would be a provision to edit the data base of "roles."

Quote Originally Posted by bquam View Post
    I agree with your post and quite often I end up with "Bass Clarinet" when "Bass" was intended. A minor quirk I suppose
    The reason for this behavior is that there is no predefined role "Bass". There's only "Bass Clarinet" and it is what's selected. I could simply fix it by adding role "Bass" to the list; but instead I'd prefer to make entire roles list customizable.

Also, do you know that you can press Del key after autocomplete and it will remove characters that were just added.

Andrei

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    The reason for this behavior is that there is no predefined role "Bass". There's only "Bass Clarinet" and it is what's selected. I could simply fix it by adding role "Bass" to the list; but instead I'd prefer to make entire roles list customizable.

Also, do you know that you can press Del key after autocomplete and it will remove characters that were just added.

Andrei
    Yes, I know about delete - use it a lot, as almost every cd I enter has a Bass and a Drums. And I too would prefer that the list be customizable, but failing that, there should be a predefined role "bass". It's surely a lot more common than "bass clarinet"

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post

Andrei
    Andrei,

Thanks for the reply.

After using Orange CD for several years, I think the "custom data base" for "roles" would suit be best.

The delete button works OK especially now that "autofill" is always on. However, sometimes I forget to delete and then end up going back through all my entries that have bass clarinet or the others, like drums/percussion and fixing them from memory or digging out the liner notes.

Like I said before, not a big deal

Andrei,

This is an old thread, but was just wondering if there was ever a fix to allow for editing the drop down menus in "Musicians" and "Credits" ? Alternatively, where do the lists reside? I'd be happy to edit them myself, but couldn't find them in the .dax file or anywhere else.

Thanks, Tom