Thread: Managing Database from Several Locations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Managing Database from Several Locations?

Hello Everyone - Using Orange CD Catalog (and Racks & Tags) for a few months now and I think it's the best software that I have used (by far).

Anyway, here is my question - How can I update in the same database from two different locations (I have part of my records in my house, and the rest of my collection in my parent's house in the country).

I would like to enter and upload my CD's from my PC at my parents' house, and that it integrates in the same collection under Racks & Tags (or do I have to have a central database and copy everything back and forth?)

Is there a smart way to integrate everything in a smooth way? (and how..?)

Thanks in advance for your help

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricLeRouge View Post
    Anyway, here is my question - How can I update in the same database from two different locations (I have part of my records in my house, and the rest of my collection in my parent's house in the country).

I would like to enter and upload my CD's from my PC at my parents' house, and that it integrates in the same collection under Racks & Tags (or do I have to have a central database and copy everything back and forth?)

Is there a smart way to integrate everything in a smooth way? (and how..?)
    Currently, there is no way to sync with two different databases. You have to have one master database that will sync to your Racks and Tags.com account.

Two-way sync (which would allow synchronizing several databases via the server account) is a lot of work so it's not implemented.

Andrei

Default Got it - so How can I work around it?

Thanks for the feedback - So how can I work around this? (in simple terms)

Should I copy the database from location B, merge it with database on Location A, and sync with R&T from location A in the end?

(and then I am not sure how it would work..

- How can I merge the two databases with two different files?
    - Do I need to register twice and pay twice or can I use the same s/n on both locations?

if someone has any experience of this, I would be interested in a simple explanation)

Sorry for all the practical questions, but I don't want to erase everything by mistake

Thanks in advance

Eric

- How can I merge the two databases with two different files?
    It's done by importing all entries from database B into database A.

1. open database B in OrangeCD Catalog
    2. click menu Database -> Manage -> Import and select database B as source.
    3. on next page, leave "All albums" selected.

Since this action cannot be undone, I recommend making backups of both databases in case something goes wrong (menu Database -> Backup).

- Do I need to register twice and pay twice or can I use the same s/n on both locations?
    You can use same number in this scenario.

Andrei

Default Thx a lot - very clear! (nt)

Kind Regards
    Eric