Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Users of OrangeCD: Satisfied or not??

Quote Originally Posted by bigmutt View Post
    Well .... it looks as though this program is winding down to the end of its useful life, eh?
    I suspect it's because there are so many freeware programs out there that do as good a job or better than this OrangeCD program.

Or .... the developer has just lost interest or gone on to more lucrative endeavours.

It's too bad; it had a good following for a number of years, and even with it's temperamental nature it did a decent job.
    Well .... it looks as though this program is winding down to the end of its useful life, eh?
    [I still find it very useful, indispensable in fact, on a daily basis]

I suspect it's because there are so many freeware programs out there that do as good a job or better than this OrangeCD program.
    [Which are the ones that do the same job as OCD and can I transfer my database across without re-entering everything?]

Or .... the developer has just lost interest or gone on to more lucrative endeavours.
    [Maybe. Obviously, there is scope for future tweaking of the programme but it works well enough for me as it is]

It's too bad; it had a good following for a number of years, and even with it's temperamental nature it did a decent job.
    [Maybe I've been lucky but I haven't experienced this temperamental nature. With 3675 CDs in my collection, life would be too short for me to start again.

I agree with gurnemanz...

I can only partially complain about teh fact that Andrei told us about a new version he's working on and could be nice to have some news...

... But about the actual OCD,
    I've never found a freeware/registered program which can be easily costomizable like this one, allowing user's javascript functions or making it referencing external dll's or plugins to do what we want, starting frome being a novice programmer to an advanced one, you can do a lot of things.

If you find a freeware that coud do what I mentioned above, just tell us and we'll check it... a good competition always make programs evolve better...
    but without names... actually OCD, as-is, is great...

And, I'd like to chime in and agree with everything expressed in the last couple of posts. I love this software! I first began using OCD at the end of April, and recently completed cataloging the LPs. 45s, & CDs (6208 records!) - I still need to put in my music DVDs, but that won't take much time at all. Complaints? Very few, mostly nit-picky stuff. Creating box sets is a bit clumsy, but to be honest, I can't think of a better way. Most of my problems have been with typos and dumb mistakes I made when first using the software and not knowing any better. When I discovered the facility for generating/running/saving queries, that really took me up another notch!

Andrei - I can't thank you enough for developing this software. I completely understand if you've currently moved on to other places in your life, and you're not able to devote as much time to OCD as you once did.

BTW, my collection can be viewed on the racks and tags site under the name: bryceharlow

Cheers,

-mm

I have been a user of OCD since the version numbers started with a 5 (and I believe I am not the only one who can claim that). The earliest e-mail correspondence with Andrei that I can find is now over 6 years old. I have used nothing but OCD to manage reasonably extensive jazz and classical collections in that time, though I have looked at others. There are additional functions I would like to see in OCD, of course, but my wish list is a lot smaller than it was 7 years ago. What's more I still find new things - often from messages on this forum - that I can do with it. I am far from a full-fledged programmer (though you should see what I can do in Fortran), but I have been able to modify the dax files to create a version of OCD that meets my needs and my sense of design. So what would I like - it's a pretty short list?

1) Greater freedom with images (as many others have noted). Media Monkey, for example, allows up to three images for each track - and allows each track in an album to have a different image - though it will only display one at a time.

2) Allow a track on a hard drive to be associated with more than one album. This would permit me to associate a track that is in a compilation both with an entry for the compilation and to an entry for the original release.

3) One of the important advances Andrei made was to allow track grouping. This was very important for my classical collection (and has been used surprisingly often in the jazz discography). But the grouping does not show up on racksandtags, reducing its (and r&t's) usefulness. And I would like to be able to play all the tracks in a group by clicking on the group title. It would also be nice to have the group title be independently editable and have it be available as a column in table displays.

I guess I must be one of the longest-standing users now! Obviously disappointed that not much is (apparently) happening, but delighted with OCD. It would be so good if Andrei could find a few moments simply to keep us up to date with his thoughts, even if nothing was in the immediate pipeline... After all, we are quite a loyal bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWERS View Post
    I guess I must be one of the longest-standing users now! Obviously disappointed that not much is (apparently) happening, but delighted with OCD. It would be so good if Andrei could find a few moments simply to keep us up to date with his thoughts, even if nothing was in the immediate pipeline... After all, we are quite a loyal bunch!
    I have only been with Orange for 3 years, but have always been helped out when needed. I think it is a great programme but if only someone would do a good downloadable and printable user guide! It would be so useful and surely would cut down on the number of times members have to come on to ask for help. The scanty notes with orange do put people off. Having said all this I am waiting patiently for some help -i accidentally removed my Orange programme at the weekend. Help! Help!

I have a database of over 12,000 albums, without this program would be impossible to find songs or singers, soundtracks or old albums. I use this program since 2004 and I have met only a couple of problems, not very important. Yes, I am very satisfied. I'm not a person who buys programs, but for this I made an exception.

It is a mature product that needs no improvement. Just keep it compatible with modern operating systems.
    I would like to be able to export the entire database, including all fields, to a csv file. Or maybe an additional utillity to do that or extract it in a useable form from the xml base.

It seems that the orangecd program has been definitely abandoned. No updates in almost a year, no news and from what I saw, no announcement of future plans. it looks like it's time to find a replacement. Does anyone has any suggestions for some recent program, reliable, and have effective maintenance? I Dont feel confortable adding more and more cds in a outdated program wich database could be incompatible ou inacessible in some future windows version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefki View Post
    It seems that the orangecd program has been definitely abandoned. No updates in almost a year, no news and from what I saw, no announcement of future plans. it looks like it's time to find a replacement. Does anyone has any suggestions for some recent program, reliable, and have effective maintenance? I Dont feel confortable adding more and more cds in a outdated program wich database could be incompatible ou inacessible in some future windows version.
    That's like saying your not going to use a hammer anymore because there isn't any new design coming. OCD is like a hammer ......it just works. Go ahead try to find something better.