Thread: Two different ways of write/view credits.

Default Two different ways of write/view credits.

I have always written my credits by open up the "record properties" window -> Credits Tab -> and the name of the composer(s)

Person - Role - Tracks
    Edward Heyman - Composer - 1-7
    Frank Eyton - Composer - 1-7
    Johnny Green - Composer - 1-7
    Robert Sour - Composer - 1-7

By entering the names this way the "CREDITS" column in the album view will show the acual names.

The 2nd way of doing it is to click "View Tracks" when you right-click in the album view. Then you can activate "Alt+Enter"
    on the first item in the list.

In that window you can enter your information in the "Composer" field. BE WARE! Here you are limited to only ONE name on ONE single row. If you have more than one composer you can toss them all together in one single line:

Edward Heyman-Frank Eyton-Johnny Green-Robert Sour

The really odd thing is that the last example will show the "Composer" information right under each track, enclosed by brackets.

First we have two different ways of entering the data and then we have two ways of viewing the data. If you want a consistent look, please beware that you should only choose ONE of these actions :-(

Here it seems that the right hand doesn't know what left hand is doing.

1st: Can someone explain what the necessity is of having more than one option in this matter?

2nd: If you are able to write numerous composer entries in the first example, why can't we do that in the 2nd example?

3rd: Why does these values appear on two separate locations?

4th: If I write my composer information by following the 2nd example, why can't I view/read this information when I go to "record properties" window -> Credits Tab ..????

... I'm lost :-)

That's a good question....

I am just starting to enter composer info... in the track properties. I mainly want to be able to search on composer.

Fred

I highlighted this problem some time ago. I have copied my original post for reference.

When you enter the composers from the Record Properties/Tracks/Composer Field, the Record Properties/General/Composer Field is not updated. It appears that these are two completly different fields. I think that this should work in the same way as the artists fields work.

Also when you enter the composer from the Record Properties/Tracks/Composer Field, the composer statistics do not work.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs View Post
    Andrei,

I input composers through the Record Properties/Tracks/Composer Field. The Record Properties/General/Composer Field is empty.
    It appears that the new Composer Statistics uses the later for data. Is it possible to have the Composer Statistics (or a different Composer Tracks Statistics) use also the Tracks Composer.

What's the difference between Record Properties/Tracks/Composer Field and Record Properties/General/Composer Field ?

Why doesn't the data in the General/Composer Field show the data in the Record Properties/Tracks/Composer Field (Various in case when there is more than one composer) in the same way that the General/Artists picks up the data from the Tracks/Artists field?

Regards

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs View Post
    I highlighted this problem some time ago. I have copied my original post for reference.

When you enter the composers from the Record Properties/Tracks/Composer Field, the Record Properties/General/Composer Field is not updated. It appears that these are two completly different fields. I think that this should work in the same way as the artists fields work.

Also when you enter the composer from the Record Properties/Tracks/Composer Field, the composer statistics do not work.

Joe
    There are two other relevant differences.

1) If do a query on Composer (Query > Advanced Search), OCD will only find those entered via the Tracks field; if you search on Credits: Authors and Performance, it will on find only those entered via the Album Properties > Credits page.

2) If you want Browse by composer in the left panel, it will only use the entries from the Tracks field.

As both of these are of much more importance to me than statistics, I only use the Tracks field.

It should be noted that composers entered in the composer field on the General tab of Record Properties (in Classical Display) functions the same as those entered on the Track Properties form. But this is useful if there is only one composer or one major composer for an album.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post

As both of these are of much more importance to me than statistics, I only use the Tracks field.
    I also only use the Tracks field to enter my composers.

The 'Composer' field to which you refer is an artifact of early versions of OrangeCD which lacked the grid. Yes, I've been using it that long. The problem with simply eliminating it is the obvious: how does one access the data stored in that field? The problem with migrating it is, how does Orange know how to break it up? You used hyphens; I used commas and sometimes semicolons. I am gradually moving the data in my DB, and I don't use the Composer field for new entries, but I'd hate to see the field (and its associated data) just... vanish... until I was done.

The ideal solution would be some kind of prompt driven migration tool (i.e. allows you to view data, specify how to migrate it, and so on). The trouble is that this is an expensive sort of thing to implement and debug for a relatively small return.