Thread: Difficulty Loading Program

Default Difficulty Loading Program

I've had the Orange CD program for a couple of months now and had no problems with it until yesterday. I believe that what happened is that a Microsoft security patch, automatically downloaded, mucked up my laptop. I immediately started to get major hang-ups in my use of Internet Explorer 7, so I downloaded Firefox (which I had been meaning to do for a while anyway) and the switch in browser fixed the Internet problem. But when I try to open Orange CD Suite now, I'm getting the same sort of hangs. It opens but takes several minutes to do so; CPU usage spikes to 100% and the computer is unusable during the hangs. Orange CD is now also very slow to use once it is up and running; it had always been lightning-fast before.

Does anyone have any insights here? Has anyone had similar problems? I'd remove the Microsoft patch, but I can't find it in my "Add/Remove Programs" even when I look through the updates lists. I ran my Computer Associates virus and spyware scans and found: no viruses; the usual assortment of spyware which I quarantined.

Default Re: Difficulty Loading Program

Hi Mark

It sounds like you have IE problem. But since OrangeCD uses IE engine internally, it is slow as well.

Try disabling all IE add-ons (menu Tools -> Manage Add-ons -> Enable and disable add-ons). This may fix the problem if you've got some misbehaving IE add-on installed.

Andrei

Thanks, Andrei. I tried disabling all IE add-ons, and it helped in one way but not in another. The Orange CD program still took a full six minutes (!) to load; however, once it was loaded, it ran very fast. So I suspect that the base problem is not the add-ons, but a security patch or malware that downloaded to my laptop on December 30. That would have been a Microsoft "Patch Tuesday," but the only 12/30 update I see in my "Add or Remove Programs" list is Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications KB905474, which I cannot disable.

I suppose that if a difficulty with that update comes to Microsoft's attention, they'll patch the patch; that happens all the time.

Try unchecking

[quote=rcarljohnson]Try unchecking

Great news!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

Glad that worked.