Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple album/track artists

Default Re: Multiple album/track artists

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North
    I don't think I have first problem (I'm not even sure I understand what it is), but I do have the second one.
    Hi,

When I view the album in the Album Overview page the artist's name is also including the collaborators.

And it can get very complicated eg:

Crosby Stills Nash & Young and David Crosby and Stephen Stills and Graham Nash and Neil Young and Crosby Stills & Nash and Crosby & Nash.

It does not make sense. Only the artist's name should be included in the Album Overview.

Joe

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I don't know what you mean by "album overview page". I've tried all the views I know about and don't get this problem.

[quote=Joebugs]

Hi,

When I view the album in the Album Overview page the artist's name is also including the collaborators.

And it can get very complicated eg:

Crosby Stills Nash & Young and David Crosby and Stephen Stills and Graham Nash and Neil Young and Crosby Stills & Nash and Crosby & Nash.

It does not make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North
    I'm not trying to be obtuse, but I don't know what you mean by "album overview page". I've tried all the views I know about and don't get this problem.
    Hi,

In fact if you go in any view including the Record Properties you get the name of the artst as Artist + Collaborators.

I can send you a screenshot if you send me your email.

Mine is [email]joebugs@onvol.net[/email]

Joe

Hi

I have now realised that I was trying to get something that this feature was not intended for.

I was trying to see albums for ex; by "Crosby Stills Nash & Young" also listed in the album pages by "David Crosby", "Stephen Stills" etc.

It appears that this feature splits up two or more combined main artists into separate individual main artists. An album say "Riding with the King" by BB King & Eric Clapton is now listed under BB King and Eric Clapton separately; however it is no longer listed under BB King & Eric Clapton. The main artist "BB King & Eric Clapton" disappear from the lists of artists.

Ideally the album should be listed in "BB King & Eric Clapton", "BB King" & "Eric Clapton"

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by VendenBos
    When entering the collaboration artists, it is not possible to set the sort name of the artist. Existing artists are recognized and the existing sort name is used, but new artists are sort on their full name and I have to change it in the artist view.
    Additional controls for setting sort names will be added eventually. I ran into problems implementing it - hopefully it is not a deal breaker.

You can always add sort names via menu Library -> Manage Artists.

Andrei

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei
    Additional controls for setting sort names will be added eventually. I ran into problems implementing it - hopefully it is not a deal breaker.

You can always add sort names via menu Library -> Manage Artists.

Andrei

I didn't understand the complaint in the first place. Everytime I add a new artist, whether through the collaboration feature or simply because it is someone I had never entered before, I have to specify the sort name. If you are going to make it easier to do that, that is great, but it has nothing to do with collaboration (which is great).

Default Within artist problem

I have found another display issue as I work with the very useful collaboration feature and my classical collection. If an artist has a collaboration in addition to solo pieces, then the full name of the collaboration appears before the album title in the list under the artists name. The cd is correctly sorted by title, but the collaboration obscures the title. Here's what I mean. I have several Viktoria Mullova cds. Several are solos, such as 3 Bach Partitas, and others involve collaborators. Here is how they get listed using Browse By artists (no compilations)

Mullova, Viktoria
    Bach: 3 Partitas (1994)
    Bartok & Stravinsky: Violin Concertos (1997)
    Brahms: Violin Concerto - Sonatas - Trio
    Viktoria Mullova, Boston Symphony Orchestra & Seiji Ozawa :: Tchaikovsky, Sibelius: Violin Concertos
    Twentieth-Century Violin Sonatas
    Viktoria Mullova, Il Giardino Armonico & Giovanni Antonini :: Vivaldi: 5 Violin Concertos

It should display:

Mullova, Viktoria
    Bach: 3 Partitas (1994)
    Bartok & Stravinsky: Violin Concertos (1997)
    Brahms: Violin Concerto - Sonatas - Trio
    Tchaikovsky, Sibelius: Violin Concertos :: Viktoria Mullova, Boston Symphony Orchestra & Seiji Ozawa
    Twentieth-Century Violin Sonatas
    Vivaldi: 5 Violin Concertos :: Viktoria Mullova, Il Giardino Armonico & Giovanni Antonini

Or at least I should have the option of it displaying this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    I have found another display issue as I work with the very useful collaboration feature and my classical collection. If an artist has a collaboration in addition to solo pieces, then the full name of the collaboration appears before the album title in the list under the artists name.
    This was done on purpose so you could see that the specific album is released as "John Lennon & Yoko Ono" and not just "John Lennon".

You can disable this behavior. Right-click tree view and select Customize View. Switch to Options tab. You will see this format string in first box:

Code:
    {%b :: }%T{ (%Y)}
    Remove the first part in curly braces and press OK. Your new format string should look like this:

Code:
    %T{ (%Y)}
    (Technical explanation: %b expands to full artist name if it's collaboration album, or expands to empty string if it's simple artist album. If you remove %b, artist will never show up.)

Default Thanks

Andrei

Thanks for the explanation. I just moved %b to the end of the string. The fact it's a collaboration is still there, but the album names are more prominent. That leads to a follow up question. Is it possible to change the sort order under artist? Say I wanted the cds sorted by year rather than by title.

Default Collaborations - Tracks

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    Multiple artists ("collaborations") feature is almost ready. At first, it will be available for albums only. Later, I plan to include support for multiple artists per track.

Any brave souls out there are welcome to try the new feature in this special build.

[url]http://www.firetongue.com/support/orgcdfull_13331.exe[/url]

You can define multiple artists per album by clicking right arrow button next to artist box and selecting "Collaboration". It's next to Various Artists function.

Make sure to backup your database before installing this build in case something unexpected happens.

Andrei
    Hi Andrei,

I just installed Version 6.3.2 (13701).

It appears that Multiple artists per track has as yet to be implemented. Will we see this soon??

Also at present when I go in Tracks view, tracks by "Collaboration" Artists are not shown.

Will this be solved when Multiple artists per track is implemented.

Any news re problem I mentioned in the forums some time ago regarding Collaboration Artists in Box Sets.

Regards,

Joe