Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple album/track artists

Default Multiple album/track artists

Hi.

I purchased this software about a year ago to catalog both my CD & digital album collection (approx. 7,000 albums, most of them jazz). I admit that the software is excellent, much better than anything I could build myself in Access.

However, it has one MAJOR FLAW which led me to abandon using OrangeCD as a cataloging tool, in spite of its other excellent features. This is the the lack of multi-value fields. This is particularly nagging especially as far as it concerns artists, since a good part of my collection are joint albums by two or more artists (e.g. Bill Evans & Jim Hall) which would need to be associated with BOTH artists and appear on a listing of albums under EACH artist. The same goes for artist tracks (and would also apply to multi-genres etc).

FYI, I use Foobar to handle my digital files (most of them FLAC and properly tagged) on the computer and Squeezebox to play them on my stereo -- both of them recognize and handle multivalue tag fields using preset delimiters (such as ";" or "/" etc.)

I recall reading in this forum quite some time ago that this issue would have be met in a new release. Very recently, I downloaded the latest release, but couldn't find any trace of implementation of this crucial update. I also checked the message boards, and again couldn't find any update on this issue - seems that this is still not implemented.

I would really appreciate some update on this. Maybe it's already there and I'm dumb enough to not find it.

Other than this, the software is a great tool.

Thanks for the assistance,

Yiannis

Default Re: Multiple album/track artists

i would like to echo Yiannis' question/suggestion.

i am trying out various catologing options. i have Music Collector, but it really doesn't fit my needs, as what i am mainly concerned with is catolging digital files (yes, i know they make mp3collector, but i don't want a separate program for digital files and "normal" formats).

i've been trying out two options, OrangeCD and CaTraxx.

i really like how OCD will automatically pick up the Notes files in my album folders, and it seems like this is the program i am leaning towards.

But, i have just come up against the drawback mentioned by Yiannis above. The program really needs the ability to assign multiple values in the artist field.

Any chance this will be implemented in the future?

Thanks!

I just wanted to reawaken this topic in light of the significant improvement just made to the program (though I've yet to try it) of setting up a 'copy credts' capability. Thus far, in spite of my high regard for the program, it's inabilty to manage co-leader albums (e.g., Clifford Brown/Max Roach) has been a major obstacle to my making full use of it. In fact, I would go further, and wish for the same capability in the Composer field, so that one could separate say, Lennon and McCartney (neither one being clearly the lyricist).

Having invested a lot of time over the years cataloging my collection in various formats, I've gotten a little persnickety as far as putting in more work than I'd like into a hobby. I fear that if I do proceed with hyphenations, etc., some future program change would force me to go back and do it all over. After various changes (hard drive failures, program changes, etc.), I don't think I could start over again.

I did try another program, Music Collector, for a few years, but that had major flaws, particularly in how it handled credits, potentially bogging one down for hours in making minor alterations to a single disc. Orange CD is vastly superior in every way, except for this issue with the multiple artist limitation. I believe last year, in another thread, some assurance was given by our esteemed developers that this feature might be forthcoming soon. Given that som much progress has been made in other areas, what is the prognosis on this issue?

Multiple artists ("collaborations") feature is almost ready. At first, it will be available for albums only. Later, I plan to include support for multiple artists per track.

Any brave souls out there are welcome to try the new feature in this special build.

[url]http://www.firetongue.com/support/orgcdfull_13331.exe[/url]

You can define multiple artists per album by clicking right arrow button next to artist box and selecting "Collaboration". It's next to Various Artists function.

Make sure to backup your database before installing this build in case something unexpected happens.

Andrei

This seems to work great. I appreciate it Andrei.

There is one small problem that isn't urgent. After using the collaboration feature, the cds with collaboration get alphabetised separately from those without. Here's just one example:

Chet Baker and Lee Konitz, In Concert.

In Concert appears under Chet Baker as the last item in the list of cds (this is in view by artist) and not in the middle of the list where it should be.

I know, all this work and the customers still complain.

Great to see that this has now been implemented.

I agree with Jazz_North, it looks as though the only problem is the sorting under view by artist. Once this has been fixed, it'll be a great improvement!

Just to let you know that I've been playing with the new build for a while, and so far haven't found any side-effects!

Thanks for the work Andrei,

David

I've also noticed that if the collaborative artist is first, the sorting will also be numerical.

For example: I have a record credited to 4 Motion vs 12" Thumpers. I've just split the artist using the new collaboration function. The record is now sorted numericaly by the first artist (in this case 4 Motion). I've tried it with a few different numbers, and anything before 12, is now sorted before 12" thumpers, any number after 12 is sorted after 12" thumpers.

There is also an additional sort depending on the position of the sort artist (again sorted alphanumericaly).

Does this make sense??

David

Andrei,

I've been testing this great new feature and I would like to point out two problems I've encountered.

1. When I view the album overview the artist's name contains also the collabations. For example:
    Main Artist: Linda Ronstadt & Ann Savoy
    Collaborations: Linda Ronstadt; Ann Savoy; The Zozo Sisters.
    This is shown as Linda Ronstadt & Anna Savoy & Linda Ronstadt & Ann Savoy & The Zozo Sisters.

I don't know about other users but I would prefer that the main artist show Linda Ronstadt & Ann Savoy. Preferably the collaborations are shown separatly.

2. When I clicked on Tracks View to view album tracks; the tracks are not visible for artists with collaboration.

Can you look into these please.

Thanks

Joe

I don't think I have first problem (I'm not even sure I understand what it is), but I do have the second one.

[quote=Joebugs]Andrei,

I've been testing this great new feature and I would like to point out two problems I've encountered.

When entering the collaboration artists, it is not possible to set the sort name of the artist. Existing artists are recognized and the existing sort name is used, but new artists are sort on their full name and I have to change it in the artist view.

The rest of the new album collaborations functionality is working good for me.