Thread: Umlauts and alphabetical order

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Umlauts and alphabetical order

I have a number of CDs by the composer Arvo P

Default Re: Umlauts and alphabetical order

This is a bug, thanks for reporting. It will be fixed at nearest opportunity.

Andrei

Hello Andrei

OrangeCD still interprets any character with with an accent (French acute or German umlaut etc) as coming after z in the alphabet. This sorts entries into an unexpected place: The composer Pärt comes after Puccini. The song Tränenregen comes after Trost. This does not happen in other programmes. It is only a minor annoyance and I know you are a busy man, but in 2008 (above) you said "This is a bug, thanks for reporting. It will be fixed at nearest opportunity." Just a gentle nudge.

When you fix this (if it isn't already done, in which case it is done right and you can ignore this post), please keep in mind that for some languages (e.g. Swedish) ä is a letter in its own right, and should come at the end of the alphabet. In my collection, Pärt is located between Prokofiev and Quink, so OCD currently lists it correctly.

Default accents

How about Åshild Breie Nyhus, a Norwegian violinist, who turns up last in the alphabet after ZZ Top.

Quote Originally Posted by gurnemanz View Post
    How about Åshild Breie Nyhus, a Norwegian violinist, who turns up last in the alphabet after ZZ Top.
    Thanks - I can reproduce this problem and will try to fix it in next update (which I hope will be posted on Monday). Interesting, this bug requires specific combination of language settings in OrangeCD and Control Panel, or it does not reproduce.

Andrei

Quote Originally Posted by gurnemanz View Post
    @ gurnemaz... Å is in fact the last letter of the Norwegian alphabet. Therefore, Åshild Breie Nyhus should come after ZZ Top (assuming that you sort by first name).

I'm also assuming that you believe that Å should come directly after A, which is not the case.

Hope that helps,

David

Default Re: Umlauts and alphabetical order

[quote=gurnemanz]I have a number of CDs by the composer Arvo P