Thread: Multiple databases

Default Multiple databases

Hi,

I was just wondering whether it is somehow possible to open multiple instances of OCD at the same time. If not, any chance that this could be implemented??

I have several databases and would find it really useful to not have to switch between them by changing which database is open.

Many thanks

David

Default Re: Multiple databases

Currently it is not possible (for a number of reasons), but I wonder what it is that you are trying to achieve by running multiple databases in parallel (as opposed to having all data in one place). Was it for convenience, speed or something else?

Andrei

Default Re: Multiple databases

Hi Andrei,

sorry for the delay in answering you... system troubles you know!

Basically, I have several databases for several reasons, but the main one is speed... my main database contains over 20,000 records!! No matter what I do, opening it takes a LONG time (I have done everything that you have previously suggested ie not keeping images in the database etc, but I assume that the sheer size of the database means that it won't open quickly.

In order to get around this, I maintain the main database, and have split that into several smaller databases (simply to make loading, searching and maintaining simpler and most importantly QUICKER!

I'm one of those record buyers that will buy 10+ records at a time, therefore, I also have a separate database for NEW items. I can then import them into which individual database that I want.

Therefore, it would be incredibly useful for me to be able to have several databases open at the same time (switching between them just takes SO long!).

I'm not sure if this makes sense to anyone else, and I have no idea whether you can help, but maybe you could suggest something!

Thanks for your time,

David