Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing CDs in R&T Collection!

Default Missing CDs in R&T Collection!

Hi Andrei-

I finally uploaded my database from OCD last night, but noticed a discrepancy in the total number of CDs in my collection. There are 35 fewer CDs in my R&T collection than in my OCD database. What should I do to correct this? I don't have the patience or time to figure out what's missing.

Also, I chose to allow friends to view my collection, yet when I tried to access my collection from my laptop computer, I was denied access. I'm confused. I used the correct URL, as far as I know, yet it didn't work.

FYI, I use Firefox 2.0.0.14 as my primary browser.

I'm anxious to read your suggestions.

Thanks,

Ron

Default Re: Missing CDs in R&T Collection!

Hi Ron,

Could these be the "private" albums (ones that have Private box checked in album properties)? If so, they will not be counted or displayed until you log in to the website.

If this is not the case, try forced synchronization (there is an option for this in View -> Preferences -> Racks and Tags tab.

Same applies to the other question. If you chose your collection visible to friends only, it means nobody can see it unless they sign in to the website and are in your friend list.

So even you have to sign in to see your own data!

Andrei

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your prompt assistance, as always!

No, I've never checked any boxes in album properties which would cause this discrepancy.

I'll try your suggestion of a "forced synchronization" and see if that cures the problem. I'll let you know.

I wasn't aware that I needed to insert friends into a list in order for them to see my collection. That's not crystal clear on R&T, by any stretch of the imagination.

Hi Andrei-

I added a new CD to my database moments ago, and attempted a "forced synchronization" when I uploaded it to the internet, but it didn't accomplish the desired mission.

There are still 35 CDs on the "original" OCD software on our desktop which are not appearing on the online Racks and Tags collection.

What do you recommend?

Thanks,

Ron

OCD shows that I currently have 6468 records in my collection. R & T shows 5681. I vaguely recall an explanation from Andrei about this, but couldn't find it when I searched for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    OCD shows that I currently have 6468 records in my collection. R & T shows 5681. I vaguely recall an explanation from Andrei about this, but couldn't find it when I searched for it.
    I think I read somewhere in these forums that R & T shows the album count and OrangeCD all seperate discs.
    For example: a 2 cd box set counts for 1 in R & T and for 2 in OrangeCD.
    However I can't find the post that confirms this, so it may be just my idea. :-/

Thanks for the input, Tony and VendenBos!

While I have fewer than 1000 CDs in my collection, I'm not about to inventory them ... again to find the discrepancy.

VendenBos, your notion of number of discs vs. album titles (factoring in boxed sets) makes sense. Let's hope that's the reason for the discrepancy. :

Through diligence and with the help of VendenBos, I finally succeeded in figuring out the reason for the discrepancy in the number of records in OCD vs. the number of albums in my R&T collection. For reasons unknown to me, apparently the designers decided to assign a different protocol to OCD and R&T for counting discs/albums, etc.

As VendenBos posited, OCD treats each CD as one unit, where R&T treats each title/album as one unit, no matter how many discs may be included. It would seem more sensible to have both the software and online catalog match in every way, but ...

I discovered the confirmation of this last night when (for the very first time) I clicked on Database

Default Re: Missing CDs in R&T Collection!http://www.r

I hadn't noticed this discrepancy until Ron pointed it out. On Racks and Tags, I have 1665 "albums".

[url]http://www.racksandtags.com/rogpo/[/url]

On OCD, I have 1907 discs. As VendenBos suggested, this is due mainly to having a large number Box Sets, such as operas. I only call multiple CDs a Box Set if they represent one work on more than one disc like an opera or large choral work. If it is a box or collection with various different works, I prefer to keep them as separate items. The term "album" in R&T is therefore pretty meaningless for me.

Also, it is strange to read that I have 29924 "songs". Only about a third of my collection is rock and pop, so most items are not "songs". It would be be more accurate to use a neutral term such as "tracks".

Default Re: Missing CDs in R&T Collection!http://www.r

Quote Originally Posted by gurnemanz
    Also, it is strange to read that I have 29924 "songs". Only about a third of my collection is rock and pop, so most items are not "songs". It would be be more accurate to use a neutral term such as "tracks".
    I quite agree with this suggestion. Tracks is not only more neutral, it is more accurate for those of us who have classical, opera and jazz (for instance) in our collection. In my case, the bulk of my LP and CD collection is jazz, with only a small sampling of singers and songs.

How about it, Andrei! That would be a pretty worthwhile quick fix, wouldn't it?

On another topic, I never understood the relationship between the name MyGenres.com and the website's purpose. Now that the name has been changed to RacksAndTags.com, I'm still confused. What am I missing here? :-/

Is this an oblique reference to an online music storage rack with identifying tags/labels?