Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple covers in box sets

Default Multiple covers in box sets

Something that I've come across.... I've been buying "aging rocker ;D " CDs which have "new" covers, in that they are different to the original LP (ahem, that's vinyl to our younger readers ); also some "double CDs" which have two "originals" (LP or CD) in a "new" cover; as an example, the Ozric Tentacles "doubles" have covers which are a melange of the two originals.

It would be nice to be able to input both the "new" cover, and the original(s).

Default Re: Multiple covers in box sets

This is something that I would like also ... and I think that it has been requested before!

Melvin

This feature would be fantastic !!

My ideas are nowhere near being fully formed but here's two (edit....having written this post, it may be four variants

How about Boxsets like the Grateful Dead's BEYOND DESCRIPTION and THE GOLDEN ROAD - twelve CDs each and Eagles EAGLES - nine CDs.

It will be great if all the respective covers would be available in the database.

Regards

Joe

I can only add one cover for the whole box-set. Is there no way to add a cover to each CD in the set?

Just about all my CDs are of the "aging rocker" variety

I have found that I can add additional covers to the second and subsequent disks in a multiple box set, but they don't display on any of the normal lists, including the great new "tracks and covers" list. The only way to see the cover is to go back into properties and choose the artwork tab.

To add the additional cover, you need to expand the list to show all the CDs in the folder pane on the left hand side of the screen (by clicking the + sign next to the box set). Then right click the particular CD in the expanded list and choose properties from there. This will then display the properties for the particular CD you have chosen. Go to the artwork tab and then you can paste a different cover to the one saved for the whole box. However the cover chosen for the first disk becomes the cover for the box set.

So, doing this with the Nuggets box for example, I can have the cover of the box associated with CD1, which is also displayed as the cover for the whole box set on the various list screens. Then I can have the individual covers of CD2, CD3 and CD4 "hidden" on the properties pages of those CDs. This still doesn't let me put the cover of CD1 anywhere, and it also doesn't do anything for the 2on1 type disks mentioned by the_mole.

It is also the case that I have some disks where I would like to store other artwork, say the back cover, or US/UK cover variations (ok that is not strictly a catalogue of the disk I own, but rather some more general information). So I would also like to see the ability to associate more than one cover with a disk. At the very least it would be helpful to see the individual covers displayed on the "tracks and covers" view when the box set is expanded.

Regards
    Ray

Question Multi Covers in box set - Has this been cured?

[QUOTE=The_Mole;15835]Something that I've come across.... I've been buying "aging rocker ;D " CDs which have "new" covers, in that they are different to the original LP (ahem, that's vinyl to our younger readers ); also some "double CDs" which have two "originals" (LP or CD) in a "new" cover; as an example, the Ozric Tentacles "doubles" have covers which are a melange of the two originals.

I am having problems adding differing album covers to box sets and a quick search through the forum show that this was discussed a year ago. Was a successful conclusion reached (I fear not!) or is there a work around?

This is likely to be a growing problem with the increasing number of sets with mini LP covers - I am currently entering a 55 disc set, all in individual covers, which are all obviously different to the box set cover.

Karl

[url]http://www.racksandtags.com/fasterbyelan/[/url]

Default Multi-disc reissues

There are two different problems with reissued box sets. In some boxes - the Beatles boxes are an example - each of the cds is a single original album, with maybe some bonus tracks. (Of course, the Beatles box also includes two cds that contain singles that never were on an album.) Deutsche Grammophone has a huge 111 cd box to celebrate its 111 years with each cd being an intact original cd. For these one can think of solution that allows a cover for the whole box and then a separate cover for each component disc.

A different problem arises with box sets like those issued by Mosaic or Concord, such as the Complete Riverside Recordings of Thelonious Monk. Here the tracks are ordered chronologically, regardless of original cd/lp release. So no box cd represents a single original cd and the tracks on a single box set cd may come from several original cds. So to preserve the original cover, the original cover would have to be attached to tracks rather than disks and presumably would display in track view, but not in album view. (I should add that some of these box sets also have unique covers for each cd.)

I have thought that Andrei might solve this by adding a custom field that would accept graphics, but there would need to be some control over how these custom field images would be stored as there is now for covers.

Default Boxed set

Unless the box is one work, i.e. an opera, I prefer to keep big boxes as separate items and link them as a saved query either via the album title or the keyword field.