Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change Windows Media Player

Default Change Windows Media Player

I do not want to use Windows Media Player as the default when I click 'Play' from a track listing. How can I change the default media player to a program of my choice.

Happy New Year

Default Re: Change Windows Media Player

Quote Originally Posted by Psygotran
    I do not want to use Windows Media Player as the default when I click 'Play' from a track listing. How can I change the default media player to a program of my choice.
    OrangeCD uses system default player (default player is what pops up when you double-click media file in Windows.)

So if your player is correctly installed, it should work automatically. What player do you want to use?

Andrei

Question Media Player Question

Andrei, I have the same question. I recently added (for the first time) some mp3 files and they played fine from OCDC via Windows Media Player. That is not my player of choice, however. I use various players such as Winamp, VLC and Orange CD Player. When a friend shared some m4a files with me yesterday, WMP could not play them. I converted them to mp3 files and it still refused. It's frustrating!

Where is the option for me to designate another player for playing media files in OCDC?

Thanks.

Hi.. it's under View/Preferences then select the media tab
    Here you can configure an external player.. below is what mine looks like for foobar... (click image for larger view)
    ocd.JPG
    Last edited by frederf; 12-23-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Question Two Questions

Thanks, frederf!

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure of how to configure an external player, as you have done.

Do I simply take the address of a desired player such as:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

Then, add a forward slash and the word "/PLAY" on the top line, and "/ADD" on the bottom line, followed by "%1"?

Is that it?

Thanks very much for any additional instructions.
    Last edited by Ron_Thorne; 06-20-2012 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Clarification

That's usually exactly it. You may find you do not need to add /PLAY; I don't need it with Media Monkey but adding it doesn't affect anything. I would note that when I used iTunes I could never get queuing to work; I assume not all players support on the fly playlists.

Just to be sure: /PLAY and /ADD are not in "", but "%1" is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Thorne View Post
    Thanks, frederf!

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure of how to configure an external player, as you have done.

Do I simply take the address of a desired player such as:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe"

Then, add a forward slash and the word "/PLAY" on the top line, and "/ADD" on the bottom line, followed by "%1"?

Is that it?

Thanks very much for any additional instructions.
    Last edited by Jazz_North; 06-20-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks, Jazz_North. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me. I followed the example exactly, but no luck.

Back to the drawing boards with no more clue than when I started.

Hey Ron...
    OK.. this is not perfect and you can do some googling to get it better, but...
    Copy and paste this line into the first command line box

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --one-instance "%1"

and this in the second

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --one-instance --playlist-enqueue "%1"

as you click on a song to PLAY.. it will start playing.. if you click on another song to play it will stop the current song and start playing, but adds it to the playlist.

if you click on a song to Queue it will add the song to the playlist.

So the only problem I have with these commands is that if you have queued up a couple of songs and select play on another one that song is added to the bottom of the playlist and starts playing...

Maybe someone else can come up with a better command line, but this at least works... ;O)

Fred

I have not tried some of the suggestions here but I am using Windows 7 64 and my media player of choice is JRiver Media Center 18. IMHO, the boss of media players! I have it set as default and all the icons on my music files have the MC18 logo. If I click directly on the music file outside of OrangeCD it will open using MC18, but if I click on play/queue inside of OrangeCD it opens WMP. Anyone have a solution to this or have a different media player running through OrangeCD? Perhaps I am missing something.

See my post above (or below depending on how you are viewing threads ;O) Click on the image for a larger view... that works for me. Don't know if the player you are using supports command line parameters. Everything after the EXE will need to be in the format from your player.. Nothing after the .EXE is used by OCD.. just passed to you player. So it can be different for different players.