Thread: performance

Default performance

I've recently noticed a slowdown in performace while using the catalog, getting into the properties of an album takes 5 - 10 secs and my cpu getting to 100% in task manager. I'm sure it's not the PC (Dual core 3GHz, 2GB RAM etc), but it am woundering if i've reached some sort of pratical size limit on the db? Records 1375, size 63MB. I'm running ver 6.0.3 build 10631.
    Anyone else come across this problem?

Default Re: performance

One thing you can do to speed things up is the following. Click menu View - Preferences, switch to the Imaging tab. Click option "Store covers in external files" and enter "0" in the edit box next to it. Press OK. OrangeCD will prompt you to compact the database, which should be done before the new setting takes effect.

The result of the compacting will be that your database will become <10MB in size, and all the pictures will be stored in separate files. And, yes, it will be much faster - practically as fast as it was when database was empty.

In future, try to avoid adding large cover images to the database. It is what makes database huge and slow. If you really want to, use external storage option as described above.

Andrei

Hi,

I've done as you suggest, it has brought the db down to just over 22MB, and while quicker I still have to wait several seconds if i try to do anything, with the same momentary spike in CPU shown in Task Monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by luca_snipes
    I've done as you suggest, it has brought the db down to just over 22MB, and while quicker I still have to wait several seconds if i try to do anything, with the same momentary spike in CPU shown in Task Monitor.
    1. What version of OrangeCD do you have?

2. After the album properties dialog is opened (after the CPU spike), can you switch to Artwork tab and tell me what image size is displayed there? In other words, how large is the image?

I'm running ver 6.0.3 build 10631

in a randomly selected album the image size is: 300x291, in another randomly selected one: 130x130. the differance in size shown here seems to have no affect on the speed at which things happen.

I'm glad that I came across this post. My catalog was running extremely slow and I just assumed it was because the program wasn't intended to hold the amount of albums that I have entered (6130 so far).

Although I'm not very computer saavy, I performed the compacting procedure for the covers and it now runs better. The database size went from about 124 megabytes to about 61 megabytes. Thanks Andrei.

Even though it sounds familar, I don't recall how to check the CPU spike thing.

Tony

in a randomly selected album the image size is: 300x291, in another randomly selected one: 130x130. the differance in size shown here seems to have no affect on the speed at which things happen.
    It's not the covers than, it's something else. It sounds like there is something special in your data that I cannot emulate. I am looking at the database consisting of 41,000 albums and opening album properties is nowhere as slow as 5-10 seconds you mentioned.

Here's one more idea to try if you don't mind. It will not make things immediately faster for you, but it may give important information so I can improve speed in next build. Create a new empty database and import one album from your main database (using Import and Export feature). It has to be the album that you know causes CPU spike and is slow to open. I wonder if you open album properties in a new database consisting of just one album, would it be slow?

Hi Andrei,

I tried to do as you suggest and the results are mixed; getting the rightcick menu is now instant, but it still takes a 2 or 3 seconds with the same blip in CPU usage to open the album properties.

I noticed that you've posted a new build on the main page - will try that and report back.

but it still takes a 2 or 3 seconds with the same blip in CPU usage to open the album properties.
    Can you send me this small database with one album to [email]orangecd@firetongue.com[/email]? Whatever it is, 2-3 seconds wait on one-album database is way off normal. I would like to fix it.

Right - with the new build (6.0.4.10714) on my main DB, the right click is still slow (2 - 3 secs) and has a CPU blip, but, actualy getting the properties is (with CPU blip) down to a workable 1 -2 secs, and on the test one seems to be less than 1 sec (reading the change log for this release i see you've already done some work to displaying album properties).

I have sent you a copy as requested by email.