Thread: Flac Tags

Default Flac Tags

I'm a newbie and am considering purchasing the program just to use the facility that assigns unique identifiers to albums. Having loaded my collection, it appears that the identifier is stored in the reference# field as a database entry and that it must be copied to a target tag. My collection is stored in flac files and based on my forum research, flac support garners discussion from time to time but remains tentative. I own licensed copies of MediaMonkey, Media Center and Winamp and they too don't deal with flac any more than is absolutely necessary. (Noteworthy however, is Mp3tag's apparent collaboration with MediaMonkey to read and write a common set of flac tags.) Enough said ... all I want is one flac field that the identifier can be copied to which can be read by other software. Any help will be appreciated.

Not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but Tag&Rename can write tags to flac files.

Fred

I am also not quite sure what you are asking for.

1) If you are looking for OCD to write the reference # to some field in your flac file, then that isn't what OCD does. It doesn't write anything to the music file itself.

2) If you want to know what flac fields OCD reads and what OCD field it puts particular flac data in, then someone can answer that (but not me, I'm afraid). I would note that the copy facility in OCD (Tools > Advanced) allows you to copy data from one OCD field to another.

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    I'm a newbie and am considering purchasing the program just to use the facility that assigns unique identifiers to albums. Having loaded my collection, it appears that the identifier is stored in the reference# field as a database entry and that it must be copied to a target tag. My collection is stored in flac files and based on my forum research, flac support garners discussion from time to time but remains tentative. I own licensed copies of MediaMonkey, Media Center and Winamp and they too don't deal with flac any more than is absolutely necessary. (Noteworthy however, is Mp3tag's apparent collaboration with MediaMonkey to read and write a common set of flac tags.) Enough said ... all I want is one flac field that the identifier can be copied to which can be read by other software. Any help will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by frederf View Post
    Not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but Tag&Rename can write tags to flac files.

Fred
    Sorry I wasn't clear ... I want to write the contents of OCD's Reference# field to a flac field.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North View Post
    I am also not quite sure what you are asking for.

1) If you are looking for OCD to write the reference # to some field in your flac file, then that isn't what OCD does. It doesn't write anything to the music file itself.

2) If you want to know what flac fields OCD reads and what OCD field it puts particular flac data in, then someone can answer that (but not me, I'm afraid). I would note that the copy facility in OCD (Tools > Advanced) allows you to copy data from one OCD field to another.
    Once again, I apologize for not being clear. I understand that OCD's main purpose in life is not tag editing. As you point out however, it does have the ability to copy data from one field to another. Perhaps I misunderstood the function of that facility in thinking the object field was an actual tag? Are you saying that OCD will only write to one of it's own database fields?

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    Once again, I apologize for not being clear. I understand that OCD's main purpose in life is not tag editing. As you point out however, it does have the ability to copy data from one field to another. Perhaps I misunderstood the function of that facility in thinking the object field was an actual tag? Are you saying that OCD will only write to one of it's own database fields?
    Jazz_North is correct - OrangeCD does not update FLAC tags. Whatever changes you make, they will stay in OrangeCD database and will not propagate to FLAC tags (as of today).

You need to use other software to edit FLAC tags.

Andrei