Thread: Track Title Appears In Artist Listing. Why?

Default Track Title Appears In Artist Listing. Why?

When Content - Browse by: is set to "Artist", I get Track titles in addition to Artists names. For instance, I was surprised to see "Black Magic Woman" appear in my alphabetized listing, when only "Santana" should have appeared, then that Track within the "Abraxas" album on the "tree".

This error happens repeatedly in connection with Various Artists entries. I entered a Christmas album with a specific title yesterday, and it's shown within Various Artists, but each of 19 tracks are also shown as an "Artist" within my collection.

This would appear to be a "bug" of some kind. Things look normal when I change my Browse by: choice to Artist (no compilations).

Why is this happening, if not some kind of a glitch?

Default Re: Track Title Appears In Artist Listing. Why?

Hi Ron,

I think you have an entry with mislabeled tracks in your database. Typically it happens due to errors in FreeDB submissions. There is a protocol for submitting individual song performers, but it's not strictly enforced by many applications. As result, track titles that look like few subtitles separated by forward slash (/) often end up incorrectly interpreted: first subtitle is taken for a artist.

For example: title "Intro / Ouverture" would probably result in erroneus artist "Intro" added to your tree.

But don't worry, these should be very simple to fix. Just open the mislabeled folder in the tree and view properties of album inside it (right-click - Properties). On the Tracks tab, you can see artists of each individual tracks, and some of them are probably incorrect. You can remove the incorrect artists (and possibly re-append them to track titles.)

Once you get rid of incorrect track artists, the tree will fix itself automatically.

Andrei

Thanks, Andrei.

As you know, I'm still new to this software, so I appreciate the guidance.

Here's what I found in one instance after going into Properties/Tracks:

The Artists and Titles are SWITCHED. In every instance on the Christmas album I mentioned, the Artist's name appears in the Track column, and vice versa.

Is there a quick and simple way for me to make all of the entries in Artist be in the Title column, and all of those in Title be in the Artist column?

That's odd, isn't it? Could that also be attributed to freedb? Doesn't seem likely.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Thorne
    Is there a quick and simple way for me to make all of the entries in Artist be in the Title column, and all of those in Title be in the Artist column?

That's odd, isn't it? Could that also be attributed to freedb? Doesn't seem likely.
    It is trivial to fix. Click More button and select Swap from the drop-down menu. This will swap titles and artists in all tracks.

And yes, it is probably due to error in FreeDB entry. Can you tell which album it is, so I can confirm and correct it?

Andrei-

I've given part of this situation more thought in the past couple of days and have another question.

Will it even work to have an album containing Various Artists where the artists are actually listed by Track? In other words, will *anything* other than Various Artists work in the Artist column on a compilation album? Is it possible to list each Title with a corresponding Artist without issues?

Obviously, I'd like to be able to see which Artist is on which Track on an album involving Various Artists, but that seems to be problematic. Or, am I missing something . . . again?

Thanks.

Oops!

Sorry, Andrei, but I just noticed your reply *after* posting my latest query.

I'll do a little homework, then get back with you on the Swap situation.

Thanks.