Thread: Cross-Reference For Musicians & Tracks

Default Cross-Reference For Musicians & Tracks

It would be very useful to have a means by which one could cross-reference band members across their entire collection, at least by genre. For instance, my collection consists primarily of jazz recordings. There are countless instances in which a jazz musician may be involved as a leader or "sideman" in a number of different groups and recordings. For example, Cannonball Adderley was both a leader and also performed with Miles Davis and many others for decades.

It would also be extremely useful to be able to quickly locate every version of a given tune/song within your collection. For instance, I know that I have many versions of the tune, "Milestones", and would like to be able to enter such a song/tune title in a Search and see each recording within my library which matches that query.

There are also numerous "covers" of rock and pop songs, and those collections would also benefit greatly from this additional cross-referencing feature.

Thank you~

Default Re: Cross-Reference For Musicians & Tracks

Ron, thanks for excellent suggestion. The idea of adding permanent links between different artists or albums is something that was planned for last 3 or 4 years but never happened due to high implementation cost. What you propose, however, should be pretty trivial to add to new release and I'll definitely look into it soon.

Andrei

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Thorne

It would also be extremely useful to be able to quickly locate every version of a given tune/song within your collection. For instance, I know that I have many versions of the tune, "Milestones", and would like to be able to enter such a song/tune title in a Search and see each recording within my library which matches that query.
    I must be missing something in your request as I have been able to do what I think you are asking for some time using Query->Advanced->Track Title. Using that I found I have 10 different versions of Milestones: Bill Evans, Jazz Crusaders, Booker Little, Charlie Parker, Turtle Island String Quartet, and Gerald Wilson plus those by Miles. I can even do an OR as part of an Advanced Query to also include those versions that are called simply Miles (as is the version on Milestones, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North
    I must be missing something in your request as I have been able to do what I think you are asking for some time using Query->Advanced->Track Title. Using that I found I have 10 different versions of Milestones:
    I think the idea is that you don't have to type or copy-paste the song title - it should be filled automatically so it takes less clicks and makes whole experience easier.

Andrei