Thread: Custom artist sorting?

Default Custom artist sorting?

The application has the (often-used) "sort as" function, so that named artists can be sorted by last name.

Once I uploaded, everything was strict alphabetical; David Bowie is between Damned and Dead Can Dance instead of between Boomtown Rats and BT, where I would expect it to be. Will this be changeable in future?

I also notice that it is case sensitive; Leading Caps are sorted separately from (and before) all lowercase. I had some albums by Bauhaus, and then a few more by bauhaus.

Can this be ignored, or do I need to go through and change the case on everything so it's grouped together? Obviously the real fault is with me since I should be consistent, but I use Leading Caps to let me know that the album has missing information, whereas all lowercase entries are complete.

Default Re: Custom artist sorting?

[quote=gecko]The application has the (often-used) "sort as" function, so that named artists can be sorted by last name.

Once I uploaded, everything was strict alphabetical; David Bowie is between Damned and Dead Can Dance instead of between Boomtown Rats and BT, where I would expect it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetongue
    I am not sure I understand the idea. You can select "Artist sort" field instead of "Artist" to sort by last name, as described here:
    [url]http://www.firetongue.com/how-to/add-music-to-database.html#a11[/url]

Or do you have other suggestion in mind?
    Andrei
    I know I can do it in the database, but when I upload it to the website, they're mixed. For instance, Kate Bush is all together in the database, regardless of whether the actual album is "Kate Bush" or Bush, Kate". But after uploading, they're separated.

Another example is "Nick Cave" is listed under C in the database (where it should be), but is sorted as N in the website. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetongue
    Oh, I'll look into it. It seems like minor issue since most artists start from uppercase, but it should be fixed nevertheless.

Andrei
    I'm noticing that this is still the case. Everything is sorting by actual artist name rather than sort by, with lowercase sorting at the end... so I have kd lang at the end of the list, instead of in K.

Also, I know there has been mention of sorting options... I would like to put my vote in to use the artist sort field rather than artist name... all the bands in my collection that start with "THE" are sorted by that, rather than how the should be.