Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multiple disk sets

Default Re: Multiple disk sets

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Thorne
    Sorry, Andrei, but I don't understand what you mean by "select all of them in the right view". FYI, I'm unable to select more than one of the four CDs, even while using Ctrl or Shift Key.
    Multi-select is only possible in the right pane. So you need to:

1. click the folder that contains all 4 items. That will display them in the right pane.
    2. IN THE RIGHT PANE, HOLD CTRL KEY and click each item. They will multi-select.
    3. When all 4 are selected, click Tools -> Make Box Set.

It's actually very simple, you just need to do it once to get an idea. BTW, multi-select using Ctrl/Shift keys is a universal thing and works in virtually any Windows program.

Andrei

Exclamation Multiple-disc entries

I've now encountered another problem with multiple-disc entries.

Even though all of the information provided is exactly the same except for each disc #, sometimes separate new folders are created.

Example:
    I recently entered John Coltrane Live in Seattle, a 2-disc set, and 2 separate pages/folders were created, when they both should occupy the same page/folder. I entered disc 1 of 2, then disc 2 of 2, with all other information being the same.

I had a similar situation last week with a 10-cd box set. In that instance, 9 of 10 CDs occupy the same folder/page ... except for CD3 which is shown as a separate CD. I deleted and re-entered CD3 at least 4 times with exactly the same results.

Seems to be a bug. Anyone else experience this annoying phenomenon?

Thanks for any assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Thorne View Post
    I've now encountered another problem with multiple-disc entries.
    What's the selection in the drop down box on top of left pane? Perhaps there's a data on this album that varies from disc to disc. If so, you should be able to fix it by dragging stray discs into their correct folders.

Andrei

Exclamation More info, please.

Quote Originally Posted by andrei_c View Post
    What's the selection in the drop down box on top of left pane? Perhaps there's a data on this album that varies from disc to disc. If so, you should be able to fix it by dragging stray discs into their correct folders.

Andrei
    Andrei, I don't know if I understand your suggestion.

Are you talking about Browse by: (under Content) choices? If so, the choice now is Artist. I cannot drag albums inside that left pane. I've tried, with no success. If there is any difference in data, I haven't been able to detect it.

I need more information, Andrei. Please remember that this is your creation, so while you're intimately familiar with every aspect of the software, many of us are simply trying to learn how to use it properly.

OrangeCD Catalog is very elegant software which does most things beautifully and perfectly, but it provides moments of frustration, too.

The data difference can be as little (and almost hidden) as the album title having a space after it (or not!) - might sound daft, but have you checked that?

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWERS View Post
    The data difference can be as little (and almost hidden) as the album title having a space after it (or not!) - might sound daft, but have you checked that?
    I raised this issue sometime ago. OrangeCD sees a "space" as a character. It shouldn't be so.

With a little experimenting, it seems the following fields must be identical for all discs if they are to be in a multiple box set. Based on my changing various fields, these are the only 4 I could find that matter:

Composer (if you are using the classical format)
    Artist
    Title
    Format

The latter seems to me to be the most problematic, given the number of new releases that include both CDs and DVDs.

The art work does not to be identical, but, as we all know, OCD will only display the artwork associated with the first disk, except when you (left) click on a particular track and OCD displays the information for that track, it will show the artwork for the disk that track is on. The problem is when the box set has different art work than the first disk. For example, Concord released a 2 disc set of Art Blakey called Coast to Coast and created art work for that release. However, the two disks that make up the set had been previously issued separately, each with its own artwork. So while I can attach the original Live at Kimball's artwork to the second disk, I cannot have both the original artwork for New York Scene (the first disk) and for the box set. Since I actually have the box set and not the original two disks, I would like to have all three.
    Last edited by Jazz_North; 03-09-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOWERS View Post
    Yes, but I'll check again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebugs
    I raised this issue sometime ago. OrangeCD sees a "space" as a character. It shouldn't be so.
    I wholeheartedly agree, but doubt that it will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_North
    With a little experimenting, it seems the following fields must be identical for all discs if they are to be in a multiple box set. Based on my changing various fields, these are the only 4 I could find that matter:

Composer (if you are using the classical format)
    Artist
    Title
    Format

The latter seems to me to be the most problematic, given the number of new releases that include both CDs and DVDs.
    Thanks, Jazz_North. Seems as though we have similar tastes in music. I'm a drummer, and Art Blakey has been a favorite (among many) for decades. Do you live in the north, by any chance?

Thanks for the interest and tips, everyone.

I'm still interested to see what Andrei will offer to my queries.

Default Close, but no cigar ... yet.

Well, I've made some minor progress.

I painstakingly looked at every single detail on the General tab, and after noting an extra space here and there after the Album Title or Artist name, was able to coax 2 "wayward" discs to sync into the proper tree.

However, in trying to complete the tree on the 10-disc John Coltrane box set, cannot find any discrepancies on disc #10, so it's still in the wrong tree. It's exhausting and frustrating. Everything looks exactly the same, yet ...

Man, talk about the enigmatic nature of computers and software!

Your thoughts, Andrei?

Ron

Is this the Complete Prestige set? So that discs 11, 12 thru 16 are "in the tree"?