Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FLAC Tag fields question

Default FLAC Tag fields question

I'm trying to auto-fill the "Reference #" field on the Library tab.
    I store this data in the "Comment" field of the FLAC tag.

I know you stated:
    OrangeCD only reads all attributes that have corresponding fields in OrangeCD database. Everything else, including any custom tags, is ignored.
    ...which means that since OCD has no "Comment" field, it will ignore the "Comment" field in the FLAC tag, correct?
    So, the question(s) is (are):
    Which field in the FLAC tag corresponds with the "Reference #" field on the Library tab? (I tried "Catalog #" but that didn't work)
    OR
    Should I store the data in a field that OCD recognizes (but which one?) and then use the Tools/Advanced/Transfer Function to move the data to the "Reference #" field?

Any chance for future support of the "Comment" or "Catalog #" fields in the FLAC tag? ;D
    Also, a side note: OCD still isn't reading the "Year" field in the FLAC tag at all. :-[

Default Re: FLAC Tag fields question

Quote Originally Posted by Quidsane
    I'm trying to auto-fill the "Reference #" field on the Library tab.
    I store this data in the "Comment" field of the FLAC tag.

I know you stated:
    ...which means that since OCD has no "Comment" field, it will ignore the "Comment" field in the FLAC tag, correct?
    So, the question(s) is (are):
    Which field in the FLAC tag corresponds with the "Reference #" field on the Library tab? (I tried "Catalog #" but that didn't work)
    OR
    Should I store the data in a field that OCD recognizes (but which one?) and then use the Tools/Advanced/Transfer Function to move the data to the "Reference #" field?

Any chance for future support of the "Comment" or "Catalog #" fields in the FLAC tag? ;D
    What software do you use for FLAC tag editing? Can you send me an example of FLAC file that has data in all these fields? So far, we only support standard vorbis fields (what is called "minimal list of standard fields" in vorbis comment spec). It could be that your software uses some kind of custom extension. If it's widespread and popular, I'll definitely add these fields.

Also, a side note: OCD still isn't reading the "Year" field in the FLAC tag at all. :-[
    Which build do you have? This sounds like serious problem, so I want to fix this a.s.a.p.

Andrei

I use Tag&Rename.
    Here's the site: [url]http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm[/url]

I'm using OCD v6.0.8 build 10916.

So far, we only support standard vorbis fields (what is called "minimal list of standard fields" in vorbis comment spec).
    I think this is the problem... the minimal list has no "Year" field.
    It has a "Date" field.

Yes, Tag&Rename is one of the most widely used tagging progs.
    If you could map the "Reference #" field in OCD to ANY field in Tag&Rename (like the "Comment" or "Catalog #" fields) that would be so fantastic!
    Thank you very much for looking into this!

I also noticed that my "Year" flac tag is not read.

Regarding the minimal list of flac tags, is that list given at the link below? If not, what list are you using?

[url]http://xiph.org/vorbis/doc/v-comment.html[/url]

Thanks,
    Randy

Please forgive me if this suggestion is na

Hi Randy,

Yes, it is doable. The problem is that it is not trivial (but not particularly hard either) to find solution that is simple to use and would not affect overall application reliability, and we, like everybody else, only have limited resources. I maintain a live "todo list" and this issue is in it already, and that means I am seeking opportunity to add this feature. But it may take a lot of time

BTW, year and comment tags should be already imported correctly in 6.0.9.

Andrei

"Year" is working perfectly! YAY! ;D AWESOME!
    And "Composer" & "Label" work now as well! 8)
    Also, it looks like "Comment" in FLAC is "Notes" in OCD...
    Now is there any way you can add "Notes" to the Tools/Advanced/Fields/Source dropdown menu so I can move the data to the "Reference #" field? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
    That would be a short-term solution since the aformentioned

Andrei:

My tagging program (MP3Tag) allows me to output my tags to a csv file (semicolon delimiter) in any order I wish. Could you easily expand your list of import options to include a csv file in a specified format? The specified format might be the order in which the orangeCD database fields are read from the csv file and the delimiter (not a comma). (This option would require that the user edit the csv file to include blanks for orangecd database fields for which there is no tag data.) Or a bit more user-friendly possibility would have the user provide a list of orangecd database fields that are included in the csv file, where the list gives the order in which they appear. (One way for the user to provide this information would be on a form that includes all the orangecd database fields and a fill-in box associated with each such DB field accepting an integer that gives the placing of the info in the csv file (0 = not included). Or the first line of the csv file could simply be the orangecd database field names.)

Providing this addtional import option would also open up your product to users of catalog programs other than those on your import list.

Just another thought.

Thanks,
    Randy

On second thought, "Notes" -> "Reference #" is a bad idea. :

For now, I'm moving data from "Label" to "Reference #" with the Tools/Advanced menu until that glorious day when any FLAC tag (preferably "Catalog #") is mapped to "Reference #" in OCD. 8) (I know this is WAY down the list of priorities.)

Just a thought:

While testing, I found that when "Composer" is chosen in the Tools/Advanced/Fields/Source
    dropdown menu, "Reference #" shows up as a possible destination.

1. Doesn't make much sense for "Reference #" to be a
    destination in this instance.

2. It doesn't work, anyway. No data is copied/moved.

for the record, i am using tag&rename for FLAC also.
    i have been getting most of my tags in but from time to time the comment field doesn't import properly and some times it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Quidsane
    I use Tag&Rename.
    Here's the site: [url]http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm[/url]

I'm using OCD v6.0.8 build 10916.

I think this is the problem... the minimal list has no "Year" field.
    It has a "Date" field.

Yes, Tag&Rename is one of the most widely used tagging progs.
    If you could map the "Reference #" field in OCD to ANY field in Tag&Rename (like the "Comment" or "Catalog #" fields) that would be so fantastic!
    Thank you very much for looking into this!