Thread: question from a potential new user

Default question from a potential new user

Hi all,
    For the last several years I have been using Collectorz' Music Collector software, but recent arguments with the devoloper about the way track level musician, songwriting & production credits are handled has lead me to search for a new program to use. I have fiddled with the demo of OrangeCD for a bit and like what I see so far, but I have some questions (and need a few things clarified).

What is the best way to add multiple artists to a single album or track? Are there any plans to allow for this in the future? (This is one of the best features of Collectorz)

Using the test database, I did an advanced search for tracks by artist=Fleetwood Mac, and despite there being a Fleetwood Mac album there, the search found nothing. What am I doing wrong? (selecting "artist sort" finds all tracks though)

Is the musician field only a one-to-one relationship? That is, if I want to list Geddy Lee as both Bass and Vocals, do I need to list him twice or can I choose both to apply to him?

Is there any way to import my data from Collectorz? (I have over 4000 CDs & LPs listed)

How do I use different templates?

Is there a way to quickly add track info to multiple tracks across albums? What I mean is, if I want to add songwriters to all my Beatles albums, is there a way to select *all* songs John Lennon was a songwriter on and add him, then select all songs McCartney was a writer on and add him as well (without overwriting the previously added data)?

I'll probably have more questions later. Thanks in advance for any help.

D

Default Re: question from a potential new user

OK, more questions before I spent too much time with this program:

Is CD Text supported? Is there a way to read CD text if a CD is not found by scanning.

Is there any way to speed up adding in CDs? if I can't import my previous collection, I'll need to scan in over 4000 CDs. Entering them one at a time is quite time consuming and cumbersome? is there some way to create a cue and then add them en masse?

I hope some one answers my questions as I will not make the same mistake again of buying a program without truly understanding its features and limitations.

[quote=DragonsDream]What is the best way to add multiple artists to a single album or track?

[quote=DragonsDream]OK, more questions before I spent too much time with this program:

Is CD Text supported?

Thank you very much for your answers. I really appreciate it. Please forgive me if I fallback on "old ways" - I have been using the same program for 5 years and I am used to a certain "workflow" and will need to learn a new one.

I am very impressed with the program you have here as it handles correctly the features that caused me to drop my previous program. however, I think I will have 2 major problems:

1) importing my collection. Currently, I can export to XML, HTML or text, none of which are supported for import. :-( I'd be perfectly happy at least being able to import artist-title for each, provided the imported records can be updated via FreeDB

2) No CD text support. I collect bootlegs from places like Dimeadozen and bootcity and burn them to disc. These are rarely found in FreeDB and obviously never on Amazon. CD Text is the only reliable way to generate track listings short of hand entry, and for several hundred bootleg disc, hand entry is not a feasible option. Any other options here?

[quote=DragonsDream]1) importing my collection.