Thread: some suggestions

Guest Guest

Default some suggestions

first of all, I really like your app.
    Still, anything can be improved.. here are some things I think could make your app better.

1. more powerful search
    right now, the search function is quite limited.. I would like to be able to search for an artist/track/any field in combination with other fields.. for example 'give me all jazz records on cd from 1960-1980'.

2. more genres
    Only 11 genres? please... this *sucks*.
    Just because CDDB/FreeDB only supports a handfull of genres doesnt mean you (and your users) have to limit themselves to those.

3. web export
    Would be nice to be able to export your whole database with cover and all to external html files (and jpegs for covers) so you can put them online. This shouldnt be too hard, as you're using html anyways (i think).

One other thing I noticed.. whenever I use navigate->view in browser when viewing a list of albums, IE crashes..
    Only web-viewing of single albums works ok.

4. date pulldown
    Kinda strange this is missing..
    From the content menu pulldown, i'd like to be able to select the release date as a starting point for my browsing.

Alright.. thats about it I guess..

later,
    Bas

Guest Guest

Default Re: some suggestions

Bas,
    please read my comments inline.

> 1. more powerful search
    > right now, the search function is quite limited.. I wouldlike > to be able to search for an artist/track/any field in
    > combination with other fields.. for example 'give me
    > all jazz records on cd from 1960-1980'.

This feature is under development. It will appear (hopefully) within few weeks.

> 2. more genres
    > Only 11 genres? please... this *sucks*.
    > Just because CDDB/FreeDB only supports a handfull of
    > genres doesnt mean you (and your users) have to limit
    > themselves to those.

This is already implemented in beta version 4.11. In short, there are new Genre fields which if you don't touch them are same as Category. Unlike categories, you can add as many genres as you like. You can browse by genres as well as by other fields.

> 3. web export
    > Would be nice to be able to export your whole database
    > with cover and all to external html files (and jpegs for
    > covers) so you can put them online. This shouldnt be too
    > hard, as you're using html anyways (i think).

Yes, yes, and yes. This is the most important direction for us these days, codenamed My Music Web. The idea behind it is to provide an easy way to create customized web sites to publish your favorite records, records you wish to sell or swap, etc.

If you guys have thoughts as of how this could be implemented, or what features you require on your web sites, we would *really* appreciate it.

> One other thing I noticed.. whenever I use navigate->view > in browser when viewing a list of albums, IE crashes..
    > Only web-viewing of single albums works ok.

The crash is fixed in new beta. However, it still won't work: the list will be empty. This will be fixed completely whenever I reach this item in my todo list

> 4. date pulldown
    > Kinda strange this is missing..
    > From the content menu pulldown, i'd like to be able to
    > select the release date as a starting point for my browsing.

Added as todo item. Thank you for comments!

Andrei

Guest Guest

Would be nice to be able to export in acrobat reader format as well !! There's already an application like this which does it : Catraxx. I don't know if this would be hard to implement though ???

I'd also like it if there was a way to expand all folders in the tree view on the left, in the contextual menu !!

Keep going guys, it's going pretty well

Guest Guest

Some more stuff !!

I don't know how your "dab" format is working (is it something like compressed html ??) but It doesn't display accentuated characters correctly. Ie: Daniel B

Twomby,

the problem with accentuated characters is fixed in new beta version (4.11). You can go Preferences->Database and define a default character set for the database (in your case, this should be Western European).

You can also define a different character set for specific albums in database (Use Custom/Misc page of the specific CD properties dialog).

I hope this helps.
    Andrei