Thread: Freedb database

Guest Guest

Default Freedb database

I downloaded and tried about 5 cddb progs, and only Orange and another unnamed program made the cut, but even the Orange CDs interface is SO much cooler and neater, I chose to register the other one because the Freedb vs. the Gracenote cddb has no info. Almost every CD I tried to recognize wasn't in the Freedb database. I'd rather pay an extra $10 for registering Orange CD if it used gracenote instead of freedb. - Just my opinion.

Default Re: Freedb database

I registered Orange CD because it didn't use CDDB2-bloatware and their Gracenote Music Browser. I tested Music Collector and as soon as I started it the first time it asked me to set up a CDDB account and connected to the internet - I don't like that sort of behaviour. I'm happy with Freedb - only about 30 CDs (most of them very rare classical music CDs) of my more than 900 CD collection were not in the database.

I'm a registered user of Orange CD, and just finishing cataloging my 1050+ collection of CD's. I only found a handful of CD's that weren't able to be downloaded, and those were very rare ones.

Therefore, I don't find the freedb vs. cddb thing to be a problem at all, IMHO.

The first time I started to use the freedb it didn't recognize much ... but over time it improves because of the people submitting their CD info ... Now I have another problem .. My CD of Red Hot Chili Peppers can't get the info because there are too many info files found (221!!) .. ;D

I have been looking for a while for a program that catalogs CD's with the covers and lyrics .. And this is the neatest, coolest and best..

Guest Guest

I found about 180 out of 1800!
    I have more obscure cds and imopots I guess.
    The fastest way I have found to deal with it is to scan the cd with the the earlier Audiograbber version that looks at CDDB and then cut and paste. I wish I had figured that out a 100 cds earlier!

[quote=rosinski]
    I'm a registered user of Orange CD, and just finishing cataloging my 1050+ collection of CD's.