Thread: Is there a 100 entry limit in "Various Artist

Default Is there a 100 entry limit in "Various Artist

I happen to have an interest in a number of "one hit artists" that never recorded an album. Consequently, to find a particular song title, I have acquired a large number of "Various Artists" CDs.

I downloaded OrangeCD and then installed it on Saturday November 8, 2003, and started evaluating it. Wonderful! There is this Tool Bar button with a function of "Scan CD", so I click on it, and it brings up a dialog box which (essentially) tells me to put a CD in the drive! Wonderful! Just what I wanted ... intuitive, user-friendly cataloging of my CDs.

Along about Tuesday, I was happily popping in CDs, just capturing albums, and pleased as punch with this program. Being somewhat less than observant, I catalogued some 25 CDs that I finally found to be unknown to the program when I went to edit track information I noticed to be wrong during the capture process.

Whoa! What's this "New Artist" folder with a couple dozen or so "New Album" entries? Opened an album, and found that there was no useful track information in it ... repeated the process a few times, with the same result. Since they were all supposed to be "Various Artist" entries, I checked that folder and found a somewhat different display ... added "Various Artist::" to the album names! Suspecting that I had violated a trial version restriction, I counted up the entries under "Various Artists" folder, and found exactly 100 of them. Suspicion confirmed!?!

I have gotten around this (for now) by creating a second database entry, and cataloging the remainder of my collection into it. That solution is less than satisfactory, since now I cannot search a single place for an Artist, in order to locate on which CD the song title I am interested in is located.

OrangeCD is the best of three CD cataloging programs I have tried ... by far!

Before I enter the fourth week of my trial period, I intend to purchase the program. Where I downloaded it, the price was $20 ... when I went to buy it on Monday(!), the shopping cart said $34.95. Minor problem, really, but that pricing thing should be fixed on all sites offering the program. Because of the pricing difference, I delayed making the payment for the program ... then discovered the 100 album limit that I violated.

Is this limit in the full (purchased) version of OrangeCD?

If so, is there a chance that it will be increased in a future version?

Guest Guest

Default Re: Is there a 100 entry limit in "Various Ar

Check out
    [url]www.audio-ware.com/music-management/orangecd-record-catalog.htm[/url]
    which was my original contact point.

Unless they have changed the page in the last few hours, it says $20 is the price.

Boo! I took a shortcut into this Forum both last time, and this, and just lost everything I made in a reply :'( ... oh well, I'll try again.

I just took a print screen of the web page which shows the price for OrangeCD being 20 USD. So there is at least one mirror site that has not updated its web page for OrangeCD since the price change. There may be others, and that is not good for the product.

I am not saying that the posted price should stand for anyone who downloaded from that site (or any other with similar price errors). I am only trying to point out that misleading information exists, that should be corrected.

If anyone is interested in contacting this site, I can readily supply the .bmp ... I called up the Date/Time manager and positioned it with the current datestamp just above the two places in the web page which states the price.

Now back to my original question:

Is there a limit (any limit on the number of entries within a folder (for example, "Various Artists")?

^bump^
    There has still been no answer to my question regarding Album limitations (if any) in the current version. I have definitely hit a limit with my (still) unregistered version 5.0.2. It is critical to my purchasing of what otherwise seems such a perfect cataloging tool to be able to put all of my CDs into a single database.

Time is running out! I am now more than half way through my trial period, and would like to register ASAP.

I have now paid for and registered OrangeCD. It has been about a week, and I have not received any registration number ... and my 30 days is now up. Without the registration code, I am wary of upgrading to the November 2nd(?) version of OrangeCD.

Back on Topic:
    Noone seems to know (or care) if there is a limit on the number of Albums in a single folder in the registered version of OrangeCD. I have definitely run up against such a limit in the downloaded trial (unregistered) version since I have well over 100 'Various Artists' CDs. This limit reduces the value of the catalogue, since it now requires searching two (or more!) databases to find out which CD contains a certain song. If this is a limitation in the most recent version of the program, are there any plans to increase that limit in a (hopefully near) future version?

Guest Guest

Just to tell you that in my database (registered!) I have now 343 items on the "Various Artists" option!!!

[quote=GooRoo]I have now paid for and registered OrangeCD.

I will update to the current version, and see what happens. I suppose the run-on question related to the problem I was having is:

How do I merge two databases?

To merge two databases:
    1) open the first database using Database - Open command
    2) click Database - Import and Export, select "Import from OrangeCD (current version)". Then simply click Next button until import is finished.

Thanks for the answer! Somehow, I managed to miss clicking on the 'Notify of replies:' to checkmark it, and thought it had not been seen or answered. I'm too young to be having these 'senior moments'.