Thread: Support for other media format

Default Support for other media format

I really love OrangeDB since I started using it. It has great features and is very fast, even with larger collections.
    The only drawback is the missing support for other popular media files like FLAC, Monkey's Audio (lossless) or MPC and OGG. Please add that feature to make an outstanding product perfect!

..:: sundance ::..

Default Re: Support for other media format

Why, why why!

I my mind, even MP3 support is not needed.

Ayot

[quote=Ayot]Why, why why!

Guest Guest

I second that!
    MP3 support is the most important one, but I also have a rather big collection of MPC/APE/FLAC files with APEv2 tags that I'd really like to have in my OrangeDB.

tHEO

Quote Originally Posted by sundance

Because a lot of people (including me) want to use just one database for their music collection. IMO support for MP3 is mandatory for an audio database, but other formats are important as well. And easy to implement, since you'll only have to deal with just 3 or 4 different tags (ID3v1 and ID3v2 is already implemented, so if APEv2 is added, most of the work would be done).

I'm not sure what's common for music and mp3.

Seriously, there are so many issues with regular media (Audio-CD), that mp3 (and also OGGy, Monkey's Audio, MPC and FLAC formats) related problems may have lower priority.

Moreover, in my mind, there are totally different requirements for catalogue mp3 trax. So, it is much better to use specialized application to do that.

Ayot (A man from mp3-less environment) ;D

I agree with the multi-format proposal. I love lossless music and, thanks to the price of HD space going down, I often happen to encode my CDs to (FLAC or APE)+CUE.

Furthermore, due to broadband connections it's now possible to download live shows taped by people in SHN or APE format, and then burn them to CD. It would be nice to have the possibility to add them to the database without having to burn them.

I don't really use mp3s though, and I think I wouldn't use mp3 support: just lossless music in my OrangeCD database.

I second Efreet's proposal.

As a matter of fact I currently use Orange to catalog ONLY my RoIO Collection (bootlegs/live shows). I have many shows in some of the most common lossless formats (SHN, FLAC) and do not use mp3 at all since it is a lossy format and compromises the audio quality of the recording.

I have already suggested to Andrei that he look into support for these other formats. As a workaround, I have created custome formats like CDR-SHN and CDR-FLAC so I can catalog my collection of shows.

Bob

I support any other Format.Never know when it might be needed.

;D I would get into which is better.But do not feel like debateing today.All I will say is MP3 is the most used. ;D