Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featuring, presenting and others...

Default Featuring, presenting and others...

Hi,

Another suggestion...

The kind of music that I hear usually has a lot of artists (specially on those various artists CDs) featuring or presenting other artists, so eventually I'll end up having an Artists list that'll look like this:

A_Artist
    B_Artist
    C_Artist
    C_Artist featuring B_Artist
    C_Artist presenting X_Artist
    N_Artist

Which in my opinion 'duplicates' Artists...

I think it would be nice to have, besides the Artist field by track, a Featuring, a Presenting and maybe another(customizable) field(s), maybe in a second dialog box that would open if requested. :P

Can I have some feedback on this ??? What do you guys think?

Default Re: Featuring, presenting and others...

Hi,

If OrangeCD allowed entering multiple artists for the same album - would it help? I am cautious about featuring/presenting fields because I don't now how common they are...

Andrei

Hi Andrei,

Let's see if I can explain!

I don't think multiple artists for the same album will help. For me it's a track issue. Lot's of them are compilations, others are from one artist 'with a little help from others'...

I have 12.417 tracks from 1100 CDs in my database: of those 332 tracks have the "featuring" thing, 53 have the "presenting" one (yes I have all them counted!). This not to mention the "remix by" question, that would also be wonderful to separate: those go beyond the 500 barrier.

Just don't know if you think they are that too much or too little occurencies ???

What I would like was an extra field(s) by track, so that the main artist would always be one and the same, then there would be one more featured or presented or as a remixer, in the same track, instead of having to change the artists name adding the second artist in the same field... I think I'm not explaining it quite well, am I?... :-[

Let's see any comments. ;D

Wouldn't it be very messy when you have several 'featuring' which is quite common in rap and jazz?

I still feel much of this could be solved with the searchable 'credits' function. Then 'featuring' could appear as "guest"/"featuring"/i.e.

It might not be ideal for your problem, but close, and it would solve a lot of other problems...

-kjetil

Well... it's not that it's a bad idea, but if I wanted to make a search by artist to get all the songs he's in, how would that work out ???

Still think that an extra artist field for each track... costumizable, having the option to check if it was featuring, presenting, remixing or other would be nice

And I know this may not be an issue for a lot of people, and there will be other priorities, so... :'(

But still wanted to hear other opinions, incluing Andrei's ;D

Quote Originally Posted by RSF
    ... if I wanted to make a search by artist to get all the songs he's in, how would that work out ???
    Well, very much in the same way, I guess. With credits you could sort by "playing guitar", "remixed by" and so on, and searching on an artist will get you detailed list of appearances, which certainly is useful sometimes (i.e. to see which albums/tracks David Bowie played guitar/sax/sung on or produced...).

Still think that an extra artist field for each track... costumizable, having the option to check if it was featuring, presenting, remixing or other would be nice
    To explain my last post better: sometimes one single track can have a lot of artists, and that is what I think can be messy.

[quote]
    And I know this may not be an issue for a lot of people, and there will be other priorities, so...

I think I was a bit S-L-O-W :-[ in understanding what you meant with the credits issue, kjetil.

NOW I see that it all could converge to the same thing.

Yes, a well structured CREDITS could solve all our different intentions about it.

Lets then wait Andrei gets that solved (because I'm sure he'll be perfectly able to do that ;D) hopefully in a near future version.

Quote Originally Posted by RSF
    Well... it's not that it's a bad idea, but if I wanted to make a search by artist to get all the songs he's in, how would that work out ???
    I think putting these names into Credits fields would work. To find all recordings with the artist you could create an Advanced search query:

Artist = <artist of interest> OR
    Credit = <artist of interest>

and that would give a list that you need. And of course, Credits section of album page would display something like

Producer: XXXX
    Featuring: YYYY
    Presenting: ZZZZ

How does it sound?

Andrei

Hi,

Well... I think the idea is almost there. As I implied before, I never payed much attention to the Credits section, for I thought (and still think!) it's more turned to classic music catalog requirements.

Some extra fields (three or four) in the Credits page, customizable through the Custom page, could do the trick... then again...

...Just stroke me that I use Custom fields to insert the UPC Bar Code number and Label Code (if there any) and the other two are blank!

I could put one of those in the Release Info/Number and use the other three fields for my featuring, presenting thing ;D

This is just an instant thought that occured me, but could solve everything with no changes to Andrei (well just maybe on more Custom field instead, to allow more versatibility)

NO! :-/ :-/ :-/ That will not work! It would be OK if it were a disc problem, but it's a track per track problem... :-[ Any ideas ???

P.S.:What do you guys put on those fields? The Release Info/Number and the Custom ones ???

I put 'owner', 'enhanced cd' &amp; 'turntablism related' in the custom fields...but that's only for my specialized needs.

It's NOT only classical music cataloguing that needs credits. As soon as you start getting interested in which producer, musician and singer did what, you have to be able to track it down somehow.

Yesterday, for instance, I rediscovered that Adrian Belew plays guitar on Jean Michel Jarre's Zoolook Those small things in life ;D