Thread: SPARS Code

Default SPARS Code

Speaking of fields that are missing: How about adding a field for the SPARS code?

I have this set up as a custom field, but since it applies to every album (and track), it should really be a standard field.

Default Re: SPARS Code

Hello Andrei
    I totally agree with Charles that a SPARS code field should/must be added as a permanent/standard field to OCD suite, for it has become a standard ID feature in all CD that have been manufactured for the past 20 or so years.

I must admit I had no idea what yout guys were talking about. SPARS code?? ?? ??.
    So I looked it up, and found this (in case anyone else may want to know):

"The Spars code contains a sequence of three letters, either "A" or "D." The "A" stands for analog, the "D" for digital. The first letter in the sequence tells you how the album was recorded; the second, how it was mixed; the third, how it was mastered.

Hence, a Spars code that reads "AAD" tells you the album was recorded and mixed on analog (i.e., magnetic tape) equipment, but mastered digitally; "ADD" tells you it was recorded on analog, but mixed and mastered digitally; "DDD" tells you it was recorded, mixed and mastered on digital equipment."

Source: [url]http://www.britannia.org/film/support/spars.shtml[/url]

And now that I know what a SPARS code is, I agree that it ought to be a permanent field in OCD.

Maybe the SPARS issue is more relevant for Classical music, where you want no hissing during quiet passages, and have many recordings to choose from for most works?

At any rate, it occurred to me that the SPARS code needs to be set at the track level, as some CDs combine tracks with different SPARS codes.

OK, I added SPARS field in the last build. It is customizable via Preferences window if there aren't enough choices.

Andrei

The new beta looks excellent, and the SPARS code is wonderfully implemented. This program really strikes the perfect balance between providing great features and letting users configure others. Can't wait for the next release!

Thanks for the great work.