Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convert custom fields to new fields

Guest Guest

Default Convert custom fields to new fields

Hi,

I wonder if there will be a convert function to fill the new data fields with data from the old custom fields.
    For instance I used custom field 1 for the barcode. In the pre-beta versions there is a dedicated barcode field. So I want to move the data from custom field 1 to the new barcode field.
    I am thinking of a kind of replace window with 2 drop-down lists: 1 to select any field which contains the data and the other one to select any other field which should be filled. Only if the source field is filled, the contents should be moved to the specified field (maybe only if it is empty..., this could be configurable).
    Without this function I have to manually move over 500 barcodes from one field to another, so I guess you can imagine how much I would like this feature!

Default Re: Convert custom fields to new fields

Andrei had mentioned to me that there may be some sort of functionality in the future to be able to move the content from one field to another. I have a similar desire to move custom field info over to the ratings and purchased from fields, so hopefully it's a feature that will find its way into the final version or perhaps as a separate little utility.

Guest Guest

Great to hear that Andrei already thought of this! I hope this function will be available on the upcoming official release.
    I prefer this feature to be a part of OrangeCD itself, instead of a separate utility. But either way is okay, really.

I agree. This is a feature I would think a lot of current users of OCD will need when OCD v.6.0 is released.

Whether it's a separate utility or not doesn't really matter, as far as I'm concerned.

I have the same problem as Eric.

The only difference is I have 2700 entries to change and not only 500

I really hope Andrei can solve this problem. ;D

OK, OK, enough with the boasting--I "only" have 681 entries to deal with, but given that I would like to move data from three fields, it would be a lot of work. A conversion feature would be great.

This feature is in development and will be available in betas shortly. It will be under Tools - Advanced menu command, and will basically allow to move or copy contents of any field to some other field, plus some additional options.

Andrei

Great!
    I am awaiting this version. I love to try it out.

The Tools Advanced option to copy/move values between database fields looks great!

:'( However: the field Barcode does not appear in the listboxes source and destination field, so it will not help me convert the custom barcodes to the new 'official' Barcode field.

I checked all the listbox fields against the database fields and found some other fields missing: Sub-genre, Overall Rating, Date added and Last modified. These fields will probably not be used for this convert tool, but the same list applies for advanced search and there the fields will be used.

Also I found that the 'old' credit's and musician's fields are still available (Author, Conductor, Engineer, Performer etc.). They work perfectly, because the information is converted to the new grids. But the roles are no longer limited to these descriptions. Have you already thought about a solution for this? I can imagine using general 'Musician' and 'Credit', or do you want to list all available roles?

I hope you will be able to add Barcode to the fieldlists in a short time, because I'd really like to try this tool out.

The missing fields mentioned in the previous post are also missing from the list of columns in table view.
    Is it possible to resolve this, please?