Thread: My modest classical record collection

Default My modest classical record collection

Greetings all,

Just to let you know (if you already didn't) that this program works for classical music as well, here's the proof

[url]http://users.skynet.be/bk261219/CDDB/[/url]
    (1967 CDs catalogued)

regards,
    timothy

Guest Guest

Default Re: My modest classical record collection

Dear classical music lover,

Great looking website and impressive collection.
    Am currently struggling using OrangeCD for similar, could you give us some tips esp. for classical?
    Main problem: subdivision of pieces and displaying this appropriately.
    What I means is not something like
    1. Liszt - Pianoconcerto no. 1 - Allegro
    2. Liszt - Pianoconcerto no. 1 - Presto
    etc.
    but something a bit neater.
    Am looking forward to your reply!

Thanks,

Frank.

Default Re: My modest classical record collection

Hello Frank,

The problem you mention arises quite often with classical music (from baroque suites to romantic concerti etc.). I don't think there's a real solution to it.

Instead of
    ---------------------
    1. Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21 - I. Maestoso 14:19
    2. Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21 - II. Larghetto 9:14
    3. Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21 - III. Allegro vivace 8:16
    4. Grand Fantasia in A Major on Polish Airs for Piano and Orch. Op. 13 - Largo non troppo 14:09
    5. Grande Polonaise for Piano and Orch. in E-flat Major, Op. 22 - Andante spianato 4:07
    6. Grande Polonaise for Piano and Orch. in E-flat Major, Op. 22 - Molto allegro 9:24
    ---------------------
    (and it gets worse with several composers on one CD, for example pianoconcerti of both Liszt and Schumann on one CD: the composer's name is displayed below every movement)

it would be nice to be able to group certain pieces, something like this:

---------------------
    1-3. Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 2 in F Minor, Op. 21
    1. Maestoso 14:19
    2. Larghetto 9:14
    3. Allegro vivace 8:16

4. Grand Fantasia in A Major on Polish Airs for Piano and Orch. Op. 13 - Largo non troppo 14:09

5-6. Grande Polonaise for Piano and Orch. in E-flat Major, Op. 22
    5. Andante spianato 4:07
    6. Molto allegro 9:24
    ---------------------

I doubt that will ever be possible though. So at the moment I either put the name of the piece in front of every movement, or just add it to the first movement.
    Firetongue was designed for modern music, not classical music, though quite a few classical music lovers I know have bought the software as well and, after all, it works (I've looked at other cataloguing software as well, but Firetongue is the only program that allows for a certain amount of freedom --for example, I've used the "custom fields" to let me enter whether the recording is HIP -authentic instruments etc.-, modern or mixed, and I've create some fields to enter some details about the solo instrument(s) (if any))

Anyway, in another part of this forum, other people have discussed classical music & firetongue as well ([url]http://www.firetongue.com/boards/feedback/1080960673.html[/url]), you can always have a look over there as well (they problem of multi-movement works has been discussed there too).

Kind regards,
    Timothy

P.s.: I believe you're from The Netherlands, so feel free to e-mail me (on or off-list) in Dutch (or English) if you have any further questions (I have 1 and half year experience with this software, from a classical music collector's perspective).