Thread: lemon4orange v.001 the DB driven output script

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default lemon4orange v.001 the DB driven output script

Well, here it is.
    happy day.

It is in a "I really don't feel comfortable releasing it yet, but what the hell" state.

get it here:
    [url]http://www.jforsythe.com/jforsythe/out/index.php?p=4[/url]

see it in action here:
    [url]http://www.mp3t.com[/url]

it is a combination of a .dax template which generates a .sql script file, that you run to your DB, and some php script that you need to host.

FYI: my mp3 albums are very generic (no multi-albums, dvd, etc), this will mostly just output the basic fields you will need to get your albums online.

post below for whatever help I can provide.

It runs on PHP and MySQL

I modified code from Higgens, which looks like it had some roots on this very forum.

Future versions from here will most likely break the DB structure so don't go customizing it too much yet, until I get another build out with some decent XHTML and php.

the only GOTCHA i think : If you have multiple catalogs to upload, on the first one, use the "create new DB tables" and all subsequent ones, dont. Also, it helps to output your file as file extension "sql" .

good luck!!

Default Re: lemon4orange v.001 the DB driven output script

This Sounds Great !

Any Chance of a total newbie guide ie step by step instructions
    plus a list of all tools/apps needed.

Fantastic work btw !

Kind Regards
    Gates

Thanks, PlatinumSM! Looks very promising.
    I look forward to testing this. It probably won't be before late next week. But I promise to provide feedback as soon I can.

ps
    I like the name!

well i am going to start making bug fixes now,and hopefully develop a new css theme to go along with it.

I will put together a step-by-step for those who need it.

The beauty of the php-db driven site is that when u add new records, albums, etc, you don't have to do a diff-upload to your webserver. u just have to add the records to the db as well as upload just the new cover art.

Thanks PlatinumSM!

Looks very nice! Will wait for the newbie guide since I am not very versed in PHP yet.

Bob

He PlatinumSM,

Looks very nice.

I see you don't have problems with special characters. I don't understand why I had that problem.

Good idea to have a drop down list for the artists. But with me the list is 1700 artists long. So I'm searching for a javascript with a autofill drop down list, where I can type the first 3 characters or so and than the artist comes automatically.

Auke

Guest Guest

Yes, last night I started breaking down the site to make it XHTML 1.1 compliant as well as make easier to modify structure for the .css to mark up.

Maybe over the weekend I will have a new version

I think I have a JS routine that can do that.

I have updated the php portion of the script to be xhtml 1.1 compliant, I'm just integrating a nice looking stylesheet now and I will release a new version.

But before I'm done with it, I offer up a question. What does everyone use a web-based Music Catalog for?

For me, I have about 20 DVD's of mp3 music, and I take them into work with me because we are not allowed to have m3p's on our drives at work, nor are we allowed to stream music from the net. Therefore, I have my collection at my fingertips. So, I reference my music online, and when I find a album or song I like, I note the DVD that it is located on. I store the DVD_ID in one of the Custome fields, I belive CUSTOM_1.

A note, When I cleaned my mp3 files, All "multi-disc" albums were boiled down to a single group of albums.
    I think this is because I formatted my mp3's to the allmusicguide.com format using TheGodfather.

Well, I guess I'll be the first to reply. I collect and trade live recordings, RoIOs, Bootlegs if you will (although we traders prefer the term RoIO). I want my collection available on-line so potential traders can see the shows I have available for trading.

Right now I periodically export to HTML and update my trade website, but what I'd really like to do is have my Database on-line and just update directly from my computer. Then have a PHP driven website that just displays the output based on my database.

Bob

Interesting question, PlatinumSM. I have absolutely no interest in publishing my CD collection on the Internet, if that's what you mean.

I originally planned to write my own database driven collection manager, but found OCD while researching management software. I liked it instantly, although it really only partly covers my needs.

I'm mainly interested in classifying single tracks for dance (swing, rock & roll, line dance, salsa etc) purposes. That's why I've been trying to persuade Andrei to add custom fields at the track level.

I might simply use OCD to export data to a database, add the track level fields I need, and then write my own front end. That's why I found your "lemon4orange" interesting. But I haven't had time to test it yet.