Thread: Incremental backups

Default Incremental backups

My database has grown to more than can be stored on one floppy disk. Is there any way to do an incremental bakup i.e. using more than 1 floppy? I feel that this is necessary as a precaution against catastophic hard disk failure. I have thus far cataloged only 750 CDs of a collection exceding 2500. I also have several hundred video and audio tapes. If there is currently no way of doing this task I consider that circumstance to be a major deficiency which needs to be addressed.
    Regards,
    Prospero

Default Re: Incremental backups

I don't work for OrangeCD, but I would suggest (if you don't have it already), is get a CD Burner for your CPU...Internal / External USB whatever and create back-ups onto CD-R's or RW's.

Especially if you plan to add album art, lyrics, etc. Just a thought from experience.

J-

Floppy Disk?Dude!

This is the year 2003.CD Burners are starting to fade away to DVD Burners that hold 4.7 GB.

I stor all my MP3 Albums on CDRs.382 CDRs of MP3 DATA so far.....3926 Albums.All loaded into my OrangeCD Catalog Databse. ;D

Get with it man.....a Floppy?!Wait untell the guys from Kazaa Lite hear about this one.....too funny. ;D ;D

I agree with amagadog and F_C that you should get a CD burner or if you have a USB port, a Memory Key of 128 MB for less than 50 Bucks. It is a must have because a floppy is really a No No. It is not as stable as a CD/DVD. It is a good investment that you will have to make for the future. And for Incremental backups, I do not think that such an animal exists. ???
    Good luck

Regards 8)

And also there is only 2 Programs to really use when Backing up files.Either.....[url]http://www.roxio.com/en/products/ecdc/index.jhtml[/url] or [url]http://www.nero.com/us/index.html[/url] .

Easy CD Creator is a nice Product and has many Features.

But I would go with NERO.....they have NERO Express now which makes Backing up Files a Breeze and the new Nero StartSmart Features in NERO 6 make it alot of Fun.

FC 8)

[quote author=FuNkY_CaPrIcOrN Either.....[url]http://www.roxio.com/en/products/ecdc/index.jhtml[/url] or [url]http://www.nero.com/us/index.html[/url] .

Easy CD Creator is a nice Product and has many Features.

But I would go with NERO.....they have NERO Express now which makes Backing up Files a Breeze and the new Nero StartSmart Features in NERO 6 make it alot of Fun.

FC 8)[/quote]

Now this is realy funny, FC puttting forward Nero and Kazza.

Some people live in the past, others WANT to live in the past,
    Nothing comes close to Drive Image for backup, for music, well this is not the place to talk about it, but Kazaa is a load of crap.

But it does say alot about KC (and the sunshine band)

Moredun

Quote Originally Posted by prospero
    My database has grown to more than can be stored on one floppy disk. Is there any way to do an incremental bakup i.e. using more than 1 floppy? I feel that this is necessary as a precaution against catastophic hard disk failure. I have thus far cataloged only 750 CDs of a collection exceding 2500. I also have several hundred video and audio tapes. If there is currently no way of doing this task I consider that circumstance to be a major deficiency which needs to be addressed.
    Regards,
    Prospero
    Hi Prospero,

Although the previous posters are probably correct about CD-burners - they are cheap now and provide by far most convenient backup soluition - there are other ways.

If you by chance own WinZip, you can easily backup to multiple disks.

1) Click Database/Backup in OrangeCD Catalog and create backup on your hard drive.
    2) Right-click the backup file you've just created and select "Add to zip".
    3) Type "A:\mybackup" and press Add button.

WinZip will guide you through the rest of process. Basically, you will just need to change disks.

It can be done with other compression utilities too, but of course steps would be slightly different.

[quote=Moredun]Now this is realy funny, FC puttting forward Nero and Kazza.

Some people live in the past, others WANT to live in the past,
    Nothing comes close to Drive Image for backup, for music, well this is not the place to talk about it, but Kazaa is a load of crap.

But it does say alot about KC (and the sunshine band)