Thread: Rescanning function

Default Rescanning function

Is there a trick to the Rescan function? I just can't get it to work.
    I'm using the lastest version of Orange CD (5.1.0 build 7112).
    Here's what I do:
    1. I rename MP3 file in Explorer or Tag & Rename.
    2. I go into Orange CD and go to the folder of the MP3s I have just altered and right click and select 'rescan'.
    3. Orange updates the cover art and added txt files (if any) but does not update the file names in the Track Listing field.

The same problem applies if I add or delete files from the folder in Explorer and then rescan in Orange - the added/deleted files are not updated.

I have tried ticking various combinations of the tick boxes that appear after clicking the rescan option - makes no difference. I have tried restarting Orange. I have tried using the refresh option. I have tried right clicking on the folder name in the contents field and rescanning from there. Nothing seems to make this function work. Am I mad? Please tell me I'm doing (or not doing) something really simple.

The only way I have managed to get it to work is to select the 'Scan MP3 folder' button from the toolbar and then select the folder from the window that appears. The problem with that is that the folder then appears again because the contents are different and it thinks that it is a new album. Then I have to manually delete the old version, and sometimes I have to copy the notes & cover art across as well (depends on how I inserted them...).

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Cheers,

Beeph.

PS: Otherwise - great program.

Default Re: Rescanning function

What ID Tags are your Files?Version 1 or 2?

When Rescanning select only one.Or just try "Get Info from File and Directory Names(what I do)".

FC 8)

Quote Originally Posted by FuNkY_CaPrIcOrN
    What ID Tags are your Files?Version 1 or 2?

When Rescanning select only one.Or just try "Get Info from File and Directory Names(what I do)".

FC 8)
    It varies - some didn't have tags at all and I used the File/Directory names only option but it didn't work. The ones I have done just last night had both types of tag and I selected version 2 and that didn't work either. But surely regardless if the ID tags, it should be able to pick it up simply from the file names?

When I originally scanned the whole drive I set the option only to scan the directory and file names so the info from the ID tags would not have been scanned at that stage. Do you think that makes a difference?

I may try re-installing the program to see if that helps. Maybe it got corrupted somehow?

Beeph.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeph
    Is there a trick to the Rescan function? I just can't get it to work.
    I'm using the lastest version of Orange CD (5.1.0 build 7112).
    Here's what I do:
    1. I rename MP3 file in Explorer or Tag & Rename.
    2. I go into Orange CD and go to the folder of the MP3s I have just altered and right click and select 'rescan'.
    3. Orange updates the cover art and added txt files (if any) but does not update the file names in the Track Listing field.
    The track listing that you mention displays song titles (not file names). Song titles may not update in your case because ID3 tag has priority over file names. It is considered more correct than file names because of file system limitations (such as: you cannot some characters in file names). To change song titles, you need to change them in ID3 tags, then run Rescan feature without "Get info from file and directory names..." option.

The same problem applies if I add or delete files from the folder in Explorer and then rescan in Orange - the added/deleted files are not updated.
    To delete or rearrange songs in MP3 albums, right-click album icon and select Properties. Switch to Tracks tab. There are small buttons on top of the page. "Minus" button allows you delete songs from the database, arrow buttons allow reordering them.

Adding new song is even more tricky and it requires deleting the album from database and re-scanning it again.

Andrei

Thanks for those responses Andrei. That clears things up a bit.

Beeph.