Thread: How do you use the "category" field?

Default How do you use the "category" field?

It seems to me that the "category" field (though a standard in the freedb, I assume) is kind of pointless and I don't make much use of it. It seems like a stripped-down version of the "genre" offerings and I can't figure out how to make use of the field in a meaningful way, or if I should even bother.

I'm curious to hear how others use the category field to organize their collections.

Default Re: How do you use the "category" field?

I second laze's opinion

Can't figure out of a valid way of using "category" field that the "genre" and "sub-genre" won't do ???

Would like to know others opinions too ;D

I was thinking that it could be used for "Regular, Compilations, Soundtracks" or something like that... not sure what else one would include, though.

Category field originally came from FreeDB. On the server, each record is assigned to one of nine predefined categories (you can see them in the category drop-down by default). One can use the field for any purpose, but keep in mind that FreeDB allows only standard categories in all new submissions.

I use categories for top-level indexing of albums. Genres are way more descriptive, but there are just too many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Firetongue
    I use categories for top-level indexing of albums. Genres are way more descriptive, but there are just too many of them.
    I guess that makes sense, but it seems so arbitrary that the FreeDB would do things that way... the nine base categories are so... unhelpful. I've just been putting everything under "misc."

BTW -- after a few months of using OrangeCD, I've really grown to like it a lot. It's done everything I want it to do and plenty more.

:-/ Well some of us use Category instead of Genre.So Please do not remove this option.When putting in an Album it is there on the front Page to Edit so it makes it easy to select where to put an Album.

I never use Genre hardly.

And you can add more Categories just like you can with Genres.I have around 45 Categories.

As usual I completely agree with good ol' FC.
    Keep the Category function because it is much more streamlined and straight-forward than Genre.
    I deleted half the Genres anyway, but every time I add a new album some stupid Genre appears with it:
    Industrial-Vocal or Sonic Rock or something.
    I just added a couple of Categories like Funk etc. and keep it simple.

I don't like putting my music in pigeon holes!!

Me too. I never use Genre, only Category.

-kjetil

I use all of them.

Category-this is the base sorting key (like Rock)
    --Genre for sub category (like Electronica)
    ----Sub Genre (like Trance)

This is especially helpful for compilations and soundtracks. You can sort by the sub-genre when the compilation has too many other styles on it.

I really wish there was a category for each track. I use this database to catalog my inventory and to categorize music so I can make mix CD's of my own collection.

It would be really cool to be able to filter out the different styles of some genres/sub-genres to a specific style of a particular track.