Thread: Laptop

Default Laptop

Hi All

This is sort of a networking question, but since it involves OrangeCD I thought I give it a whirl.

I have entered about 50 or so discs so far with hundreds to go. Since I deal with mostly live concert discs, many are not included in FreeDB.org or CDDB. so it takes time. If they are not it FreeDB.org I submit them.

So what I wanted to do was to get a laptop almost exclusively for OrangeCd. (To free up time so the wife can use the main PC) but my question lies in what type of laptop I really need.

I obviously still need to connect to the internet and need a CD-Rom but other than that I am not sure.

Here is the question I asked on Computer.net, but didn't really get a satisfactory answer:

I have a cable modem and a linksys wireless network connecting 2 PC's. Now I want to get a laptop to enter data into a database. I need to access the internet and I need to be able to transfer the info from the laptop to the main PC.
    Knowing nothing about laptops, what do I need to make sure is included, to be able to perform my tasks? In other words I need it to be compatible with my network.

I have a BEFW11S4 router, how do I know what the laptop would need? Do most cards with most routers?

Thanks
    Mark

So I am looking for what needs to be preloaded for this to work. I am looking for a used or refurbished Laptop. Anyone here use a laptop for there database?

Any and all suggestions welcome

Thanks
    Mark

Default Re: Laptop

Hi Mark,

I maintain my personal collection on a laptop. As you stated, there aren't any strict requirements for OrangeCD. But you definitely need a CD-ROM, enough memory and processor speed to work comfortably - at least 256MB RAM and 1GHz CPU.

I would also recommend to go with CD-RW, DVD-R or DVD/CD-RW combo, for easy backups.

I don't consider myself a networking expert, so can't really advice on this part. Obviously you need a wireless card in a laptop to connect to your home network.

Andrei

Andrei

I have got my laptop up and running. It has a little less RAM and a little less than 1GHz CPU but I think I will be OK.

My question now is to have complete access to OrangeCD Suite, do I need to download it to my laptop. Also will I need to purchase the entire suite again?

Or can I just share the one suite between the 2 PC's and if that is the case how would I configure that?

Thanks for your help

Mark

Go to the linksys site at [url]www.linksys.com[/url], click on faq's and look for the link that says file and printer sharing.

After getting your PC's setup for this, right click on the folder that your CD Database is located in and click share from the menu.

Download a copy of OrangeCD to your laptop, then paste your registration key received in your e-mail into the registration.

I prefer to keep an updated database on each PC I have by right clicking the CD Database and copying the file to a (laptop) in case you are not in your home and are updating your database on the laptop...fyi if you transfer the database copy via cd-r you will have to right click the copied cd database after transfer onto the "laptop" go to properties and un-check read only...then wahlah.

There are probably other methods, but this works great for me.

Go Orange CD!

J-

Quote Originally Posted by tase2
    My question now is to have complete access to OrangeCD Suite, do I need to download it to my laptop. Also will I need to purchase the entire suite again?
    No, you don't need to buy another copy. Of course, you have to download and install a recent version from [url]http://www.firetongue.com/orgcdfull.exe[/url] , then apply your registration key on the new computer.

Unfortunately, you cannot share the same database easily. You will have to copy the database from desktop to laptop from time to time, to keep it up-to-date.

Andrei